So, you're new then

i thought i'd write this little bit as a welcome to the newer brethren and as a reminder to us so called wiser ones :roll:

so you've decided to try wet-shaving and somewhere along the line you've stumbled on our happy abode.
many do, for whatever reason
cost, years of irritation using the latest cartridge system or just a chance to return to a simpler and better way of shaving.
like most here it will be a combination of all of the above.

the great thing about our forum is the the lads involved and the amount of knowledge and advice you'll get

that's also the worst thing :lol:

as with anything where people contribute you'll get different opinions, all are right but also all wrong
:?
after reading through some posts you'll understand what i mean
"what razor should i start with?" = HD, vintage Gillette, Edwin Jagger etc
"what's the best brush for me?" = loads of answers
soaps or creams, bowl or face, badger or boar, tallow or glycerin
the list is endless
about the only thing people will agree on (although i've noticed a change of late) is get a blade sampler pack to find which one suits you.

so from someone who's learned the hard way (through my wallet :lol:) here's a little advice on what you really need to get started

the first thing i tell people new to this is that the most important part to this wet-shaving is using a brush and a decent soap or cream to create a proper lather
not the razor
first step is to look at marks videos
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59</a><!-- m -->
he's basically the best teacher there is without having a barber in your house
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc[/youtube]

when starting out i'd say learn to face lather first
the reasons for this are
1. it's the easiest way to prep your face for shaving
2. you get a better feel for what your doing when making the lather
3. less gear to buy, clean up
4. it feels like the proper way to do it, well to me anyway

before making the switch to using a DE, for years this was my set-up
Gillette Sensor
Wilkinson Sword black bowl soap
Grandads old boar brush
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]
did it work?
it did, and that's before i knew how to make lather properly.
(actually the Sensor is a very good razor)

so to get started all you need is very simple and basic

a brush and some soap\cream, just carry on using whatever razor you got until the cartridges run out.
although hopefully you don't use a Fusion or Mach3 as 3 or more blades do tend to cause problems, 2 blade cartridges seem to be fine if they're not cheap nasty ones
i like the Gillette Blue two's, basically a disposable Sensor

which soap then?

the Palmolive soap stick or the Boots bowl
cheap, available everywhere and best of all they work brilliantly

on the other hand if you fancy trying creams first

Palmolive again :roll:

now the brush

Vulfix 404 badger\boar mix
less than a tenner well made and so easy to use
best of both worlds with the mix hair knot

so there you have it
that's all you NEED to get started

next installment i'll look at razors (if anyone is still interested :oops: )

will you get more soaps and creams?
will you want to try different brushes?
more than one razor?
aftershaves and balms?

we'll get to that but this is your first regular step in wet-shavery so enjoy
it

Attachments

• brush 1.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 1,137
  • sensor.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 1,101
  • ws bowl.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 1,109
ywlQ.jpg

Spread these out a bit and you'd actually have The Ring of the Lords.

:roll:

Hi there, as a newbie I found the video superb. I've used a brush for a while but clearly haven't lathered it up long enough. I've googled vulfix 404 and only found a pure badger one on their own site for 40 quid. Am I missing something as the original post says they're under a tenner? I've been using a synthetic Men-U brush that they sent me after i complained the bristles fell out of their natural one. I thought it was ok but now I wonder.......

simmo3801 said:
Hi there, as a newbie I found the video superb. I've used a brush for a while but clearly haven't lathered it up long enough. I've googled vulfix 404 and only found a pure badger one on their own site for 40 quid. Am I missing something as the original post says they're under a tenner? I've been using a synthetic Men-U brush that they sent me after i complained the bristles fell out of their natural one. I thought it was ok but now I wonder.......

There are 3 versions of the 404
- Badger (404B)
- Boar (bristle)
- Badger and Boar Mix.

Its the Mix brush that has the good rep and it can be obtained from Diamond Edge for £8.40 + P&P

And Welcome to the forum BTW

RB73 said:
Good work Hando.

Hope this isn’t going to be like Lord of The Rings, and have to wait 12 months for the next instalment.

I agree; such interesting and helpful advice.

Excellent avatar Richard :mrgreen:

Great work hando et al. Now I must have been looking in the wrong places for a 'quality' shaving brush as I thought that you maybe couldn't get a decent one for under 30 quid. The one I have is a Wilkinson (Sword) that I got in a well known chain of chemists, (the one with the bonny lasses flogging perfume) for around a fiver.....but it's dead rough and kinda scratches my skin when I use it. It probably causes more razor burn than the blade itself!!

Dear all

My first proper shave will be next week, in a sad way i am quite excited if a little nervous. I shall report here how it goes of course. Good or bad, though obviously if its too bad i won't be posting for a while if not indefinitely.

The gist i am getting from a lot of threads/posts is to ensure the skin is hydrated first, lather up nicely and take your time. Light touch let the razor do the work and do not go over any areas you have already done. Then lather again and repeat.

Does this sound about right?

Regards

Ben

Back
Top Bottom