Soap scent after the shave, a pointless quality?

Hi chaps

I have seen a few threads which discuss soap scent post-shave. Now when I shave, I love the smell of a nice soap, but after i've rinsed the soap off with warm water, splashed some cold on, done an Alum rub, then washed that off again, I can't really smell the soap. If there is any remaining smell then the AS kills it...

So...Anyone else feel the same, that the scent lingering qualities of a soap aren't really of use?

I have to agree with you that for me it is a bit of a pointless quality as I almost always use a splash or aftershave.

Sometimes I do wish that splashes would come in edt or edp versions as well, as some are awesome but don't last very long.

Sometimes for me it is quite nice to smell the scent after the shave if it's just before bed or winding down after work. That being said I don't use alum or witch hazel unless necessary and only recently have I taken to a/s or balms following a shave, in which case I tend to opt for complimentary or corresponding scents. Following a shave it's usually a cold water rinse, pat dry with a towel and I'm done!

I don't look for it as a necessary quality, however. :) I do like stronger scented soaps as a matter of course.

I, too, find that the scent of cream has gone by the end of the shave. However, I do enjoy the scent as you open the tub and lather your face.
I'm much the same; by the time I've rinsed off any remaining lather and splashed my face with cold water, much of the sent has vanished. I suppose that, for those who don't use any post-shave products, some soaps and creams might linger, so I wouldn't call it a useless property, but it certainly isn't something I bother much about.

I dare say it's up to the individual. I always rinse off with cold water not hot water and always an application of the alum block. I do use an aftershave that compliments the soap. Following that shaving method I can pick up the scent for about 3 hours. Then when I'm at work after lunch I top up the scent with a complimenting cologne.

With fairly easily irritated skin unscented or just gently scented soaps are best for me. So I always appreciate those makers who provide an unscented offering. Probably just a convenience offering for them to cater for a niche market, but it's a nice thought in customer care.

JohnnyO. o/

The only one of my soaps that leaves a discernible scent after rinsing (I have stopped using alum except for the very rare nick years ago), is the vintage tallow AoS sandalwood soap. I like that soap and the scent very much, but it means my choice of perfume (what most of you guys would call a “cologne”) is limited. I rarely go for complementary scents.

Most members here go on about how Arko and sometimes Tabac smells in a bad way, after shaving with these soaps and rinse my face with first warm and after cold water I can't smell anything at all from the soaps, so for me before the scent of the soap the performance comes first. The real important point here; Tabac, Lea, La toja, Tobs... any company that produces soaps and creams will obviously use their own scent. Can you think like Tabac shaving soap smelling completely different from Tabac aftershave? It would be more costly to the company in the first place.
Few years ago there was a deal at Savers for Blue Stratos Edt comes with a small can of shaving foam, I don't use the foam for shaving but sometimes wash my hands with it and surprisingly after rinsing thoroughly I can still smell the foam on my hands and its a very nice scent.

I agree that the scent of a soap or cream is very short-lived. I use two soaps alternately.......Mitchells Wool fat and Meißner Moroccan. Both give almost the same wonderful shave . In a blind shave test, I think the only to set one apart would be the scent of the Meißner as you lather your face. I cannot detect any scent from MWF. I reckon that any soap which did retain its scent long after the shave, would be prohibitively expensive.

Most members here go on about how Arko and sometimes Tabac smells in a bad way, after shaving with these soaps and rinse my face with first warm and after cold water I can't smell anything at all from the soaps, so for me before the scent of the soap the performance comes first. The real important point here; Tabac, Lea, La toja, Tobs... any company that produces soaps and creams will obviously use their own scent. Can you think like Tabac shaving soap smelling completely different from Tabac aftershave? It would be more costly to the company in the first place.
Few years ago there was a deal at Savers for Blue Stratos Edt comes with a small can of shaving foam, I don't use the foam for shaving but sometimes wash my hands with it and surprisingly after rinsing thoroughly I can still smell the foam on my hands and its a very nice scent.

Well said, young man!! ;) Arko gets a lot of "chaff" on the Internet, but for the money it's hard to beat as it works superbly. Any & all complaints are about the scent with none bemoaning its superb performance and believe you me when I say I have smelled a Helluva lot worse shave soaps.

I love a good scent as well as the next fella, but I willingly admit that it's really about as relevant as the color of your toilet paper or bed sheets for that matter. I have an unscented tub of Valobra hard soap that just flat out does everything a shave soap should.

For me the scent is important.
I love to feel a great scent while prepping while lathering and while shaving. I cannot use a soap that doesn't smell good. Why would I bother to shave with ARKO and force myself to smell that (for me) bad scent for those 10-20 minutes of shaving If I don't have to? For that matter why would I sleep in ugly bedsheets or wipe myself with a bad smelling toilet paper. I understand for some it's not important, but for me it is.
That said, some soaps leave the scent after the shave and I enjoy picking it up after a while every now and then when you don't expect it :)

Hi chaps

I have seen a few threads which discuss soap scent post-shave. Now when I shave, I love the smell of a nice soap, but after i've rinsed the soap off with warm water, splashed some cold on, done an Alum rub, then washed that off again, I can't really smell the soap. If there is any remaining smell then the AS kills it...

So...Anyone else feel the same, that the scent lingering qualities of a soap aren't really of use?

I can think of two soaps that their scents linger for a few hours. For example I shaved this morning with AOS tallow version at 7am and I can still smell it on my hand. The scent of the AS it's long gone but the scent of the soap stayed. BTW, the AS was Fine Santel.

The other soap I can get similar result is Henry et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars.

I think PAA CAD lingers for about an hour, maybe a little longer.

I'm sure there are others.

Back
Top Bottom