SOTD: 05/08/17
SOTD 060817 (2).jpg

Razor: Gillette Fat Boy (On Loan)
Blade: Astra SP #2
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip 20mm
Soap: NSS, Moroccan Sands
Splash: DR Harris Arlington
Cologne: DR Harris Arlington

A late night ( Early morning shave before bed this evening but I want to feel fresh.)
The on loan Gillette is proving to be a favourite of mine. Tonight I dialled the razor to #5 for a 2 pass shave.
Having used this razor yesterday and in all honesty I did not have much to contend with but we all know if we can get a shave in we will. :) I only needed a 2 pass to bring me back to at least DBS.

I am a big fan of the Nannies Silly Soap and my first time using the "Moroccan Sands" was a pleasure. As always a lovely slick, creamy lather with superb post shave qualities. I may even suggest the scent is better than the Lemon, Basil & Mandarin. :rolleyes:

Another first with Hans Baier Silvertip. A brush with a little scritch but a lovely back bone. Worked perfectly for face lathering with the rather small tin of the NSS. Thank you @Aaron1983 :)

Finishing with a gorgeous, fresh lemon filled scent I am ready for bed and the morning.

Good night everyone and have a lovely weekend.
Wayne.

Last edited:
SOTD: 06/08/17
View attachment 27740

A late night ( Early morning shave before bed this evening but I want to feel fresh.)
The on loan Gillette is proving to be a favourite of mine. Tonight I dialled the razor to #5 for a 2 pass shave.
Having used this razor yesterday and in all honesty I did not have much to contend with but we all know if we can get a shave in we will. :) I only needed a 2 pass to bring me back to at least DBS.

I am a big fan of the Nannies Silly Soap and my first time using the "Moroccan Sands" was a pleasure. As always a lovely slick, creamy lather with superb post shave qualities. I may even suggest the scent is better than the Lemon, Basil & Mandarin. :rolleyes:

Another first with Hans Baier Silvertip. A brush with a little scritch but a lovely back bone. Worked perfectly for face lathering with the rather small tin of the NSS. Thank you @Aaron1983 :)

Finishing with a gorgeous, fresh lemon filled scent I am ready for bed and the morning.

Wayne.

Good Morning Wayne

You have got a little ahead of yourself with the dates, today is Saturday 5th August and next Friday is the 11th August! That's the problem with staying up after midnight (apart from turning into a pumpkin) it gives you Jules Verne moments!

Regards
Dick.#

Greetings

Saturday 5th August 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: ER Corrux NOS
Brush: Vulfix / Cashmere
Soap: DR Harris Marlborough Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Guerlain Jicky

My second shave with this old blade and this morning I gave it a few feather light laps on a Feox pasted strop; seems to have worked well.

Regards
Dick.

5.8.17.JPG

Last edited:
image.jpg ~SOTD~ 5th August Saturday

Prep.....Shower~ Olive oil soap
Razor....Valet Auto-Strop
Blade....Valet
Soap....La Savonniere du Moulin
Brush....Semouge OC badger
Post....BBA PS Balm
Scent....Yardley 1770

My first use of this interesting razor and I found it to be smooth and effective, the soap is outstanding with its creamy lather, all in all a very enjoyable shave.

Wishing you all a relaxing weekend......:)

SOTD: 06/08/17
View attachment 27740

Wayne.
Great picture Wayne, well done. :)

View attachment 27743 ~SOTD~ 5th August Saturday

Prep.....Shower~ Olive oil soap
Razor....Valet Auto-Strop
Blade....Valet
Soap....La Savonniere du Moulin
Brush....Semouge OC badger
Post....BBA PS Balm
Scent....Yardley 1770

My first use of this interesting razor and I found it to be smooth and effective, the soap is outstanding with its creamy lather, all in all a very enjoyable shave.

Wishing you all a relaxing weekend......:)
That's a nice condition autostrop pal. Where did you get it?

SOTD_20170805-1024x683.jpg

• Safety Razor: Timeless Razor - Closed Comb - 0.68mm - 100mm Barber Pole
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: RazoRock - Big Bruce Plissoft (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Cream: Meißner Tremonia - Lavendel Deluxe
  • Fragrance: Murray & Lanman - Florida Water

SOTD: 5th August 2017.
1.JPG

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men~ Active Clean Shower Gel .

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Frank Shaving~ Synthetic .

Bowl Lather.

Cream : Truefitt & Hill ~ Rose Shaving Cream.

Blade: Shark Super Stainless. (1)

Razor: Parker 22R.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block. / Geoffrey Beene ~ Grey Flannel Aftershave .

Aloe Vera Gel.

Greetings,

A new set up to start the weekend. The 22R/Shark S.S. paired together well, the shark isn't the sharpest of blades, but it's worked well in my non-aggressive, but efficient 22R..Carrying on into the second week of shaving with creams only with my SOTD's..

I used up the last of the Truefitt & Rose cream sample, which provided me with a luxurious slick protective lather, for a 3 pass + pickups smooth shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash G.B. Grey Flannel.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Today's shave:

rdt170805.jpg

- Tallow + Steel West Indies
- Semogue 1250
- Rockwell 6c (R6) w/ Windrose D7 handle and Sputnik blade
- Pitralon Pure Aftershave

:)

The T+S "West Indies" features a rather potent peppery bay scent, which reminds me very strongly of my mum's Béchamel sauce; a weird association to have right before breakfast. I have to say I much prefer the fainter and more cloves-centric Bay Rum offered by Barrister & Mann.

I decided to replace the Rockwell's handle, because the original one looks and feels tacky to me, like one of those cheap China knockoffs you can get for a few bucks. I've read somewhere that it's made out of Zamak like the head, not stainless steel. However, it's not very easy to find a replacement, as the handle has to be quite narrow at the upper end (no more than 9mm in width!) to fit between the ridges of the base plates, otherwise it won't hold securely and/or straight. Luckily, this older Windrose handle works like a charm, balances the razor comfortably and doesn't look too bad either!

I've spent the whole week with the Rockwell, progressing through the plate numbers in ascending order since Monday, always with the same blade (on average, I get 8-10 shaves out of a Sputnik blade, so that shouldn't be a problem). My sweet spot appears to be the R4 or R5 plate, as they provide the best compromise between a close shave and the possibility to roam freely without much fear of cutting some flesh, but further testing is needed. I'm glad I didn't get the 2c version with only the R1/R3 base plate.

My first impression overall is that the Rockwell is a nice razor, but I would not give up either my Edwin Jagger, my Timor or my Parker Variant for it. Maybe the Merkur. Straight off, both the Parker Variant and the MÜHLE R41 have given me closer shaves than the Rockwell.

IMG_7076.PNG

Prep: Warm water splash
Razor: WK Hydro 5 (3)
Brush: fine STOUT
Soap: MEF

Don't normally shave at a weekend but after my disappointing late shave yesterday i decided to indulge.

I pulled the 'fat' out today, I remember this causing me irritation but after finding out my intolerance was likely natural hair I wanted to revisit it. It was wonderful, thick, slick as well as being a nice soapy smell for a change. although there is no redness I can feel a little familiar rawness, nothing like it was. It'll get a second outing before I decide if it's staying in the den or not.

Off to Milton Keyes today getting school uniform for my lad, an excellent excuse to hit the big boots, Debenhams for orange scents (Hermes) and M&S for their orange offering. Also for my other passion, Games Workshop.

Saturday's shave ⚽️ Start of the football season Aberdeen FC.

Pre-shave - Shower and face wash with Wright's Cold Tar Soap, followed by Warm water splash and BBA Pre-shave Oil.
Razor - Rocnel SE-G.
Blade - GEM SS (day 1),
Soap - Executive Shaving Natural Shave Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Bowl - Little Wren Pottery shave bowl
Post shave - Myrsol "Lemon" After Shave, followed by Ibiza Aloe - Aloe Vera Gel.

@Blademonkey - hi, an update on the Rocnel GEM.

A excellent 2 pass shave WTG and ATG on face with XTG neck for second pass.

The Little Wren Pottery shave bowl (first use today) was a game changer - best lather ever, compared to the small Muhle Shaving bowl I normally use.

Think I'm getting to grips with the Rocnel - a steep learning curve compared to other razors I have used, I appreciate that YMMV. I concentrated heavily on technique and making sure that the exposed elements if the GEM blade did not touch my skin. Still got some small scratches but nothing compared to earlier.

While the Rocnel GEM gives a top class shave when it all comes together, for me the level of concentration required on the shave takes some of the pleasure away. I'm beginning to think about the Sabre, as I live the GEM blades and the idea of shaving with a GEM razor.

Hats of to the Little Wren Pottery. I never thought that a decent shave bowl could make such a difference to building a quality well peaked lather.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom