SOTY 2017

Just like last year, I'm still a geek and keep track of my shaves using an electronic computing device.
So my signature shave for 2017 was:

Tabac Original soap (43)
MÜHLE 35K256 25mm synthetic brush (251)
Eversharp Fashion Razor (111)
Schick Twin NOS injector blade (54)
Tüff Sensitiv (70)

Here are the individual results of this year's 277 shaves.

Most used brushes

MÜHLE 35K256 (251)
Omega S10077 (7)
Plisson/Nero Ardesia (5)

The MÜHLE 25mm synthetic brush is the supreme ruler.

Most used SE razors

Eversharp Fashion Razor - Schick H1 (111)
Ever-Ready 1912 (73)
Bunny V3 (18)

It arrived right at the end of March - the Fashion Razor is my all time favourite.

Most used DE razors

Seygus Bronze OC (15)
Merkur 45 (8)
Option Five (8)

Not a good year for DE razors.

Most used cartridge razors

Wilkinson Protector (3)
Gillette Fusion Trackball (1)

Even worse for cartridge razors

Most used straight razors

Mappin & Webb (1)
Joseph Elliot (1)

Even more worser for straights. I need to change that.

Most used blades

GEM stainless SE (70)
Schick Twin NOS (54)
Chinese Schick (35)

One of those Schick Twin NOS blades lasted for 21 shaves.

Most used soaps and creams

Tabac Original (43)
Cella (32)
Faena Mastic (27)

I do love my Tabac!!

Most used after shave

Tüff Sensitiv (70)
Cella Colonia Classica (54)
Old Spice Fresh Lime (41)

This will change dramatically in 2018 - I'm out of Cella and Old Spice and I just got a 300ml bottle of Tabac Original ASL.

Have a nice 2018

Last edited:
Interesting reading!

While I don't track in quite such detail, not in a spreadsheet for easy lookup say, a quick skim down my list shows I'm not actually a 1912 man at all!

I started the year with a run through my Star, Treet & Pal/Personna razors, clones of the Gillette Tech. I proceeded through February going into my Gillette Techs; quick smattering of 1914, 1924 and ... a 1912 ... then onto the Gillette Guard for over a month! Gillette Trac II then back to the Star, Treet & Pal/Personna DEs; GEM Junior, back to the Gillette Guard ... and it's not until October that I have a run of 1912 shaves, which brings me up to December where I've shaved twice, both with a Vincent disposable straight.

Blades? Well, I ran through the first half of the year on various Rapira before switching the the Gillette Guard (no blade choice there), onto the Feather FII on my Trac II; smattering of Sputnik, Rhino & Treet Carbon on the DE front and the mighty GEM Stainless PTFE for my single edge shaves. Disposable straight shaves have been with those Feather-Cut blades you see for brow shaping - they shave faces perfectly well and feel a tad like a frameback in use, certainly compared to the long Personna shaper blades.

Soap has been a mixed bag, but I'm seeing MWF & Wickham's 1912 regularly. Maybe I am a 1912 man, afterall. I'm also seeing Rose of Bulgaria cream time after time and Arko seems to stand out with surprising frequency. Aftershave, it's been the classics: Brut, Old Spice, Tabac, Jovan, Clubman & Pashana. Brushes? All sorts! All over the place there, but boars and synthetics.

As this year draws to a close, I'll join @riverrun in wishing all here a happy new year to come.

Back
Top Bottom