My spreadsheet is still going strong.
Here are the results for 2018:

Shaves: 167

Fewer than 2017 (277) or 2016 (190)

Most used Razors
Eversharp Fashion Razor - 52
Ever-Ready 1912 - 33
Bunny V3 - 15

Nothing has changed here. I am an SE shaver and the Fashion Razor is Queen.

Most used DE Razors
Schick Krona - 5
Tatara Masamune - 4
Undisclosed Prototype - 3
Gillette Fatboy - 3

A bad year for DE razors - mostly pass arounds.

Most used Cartridge Razors
Gillette Fusion - 7
Wilkinson Protector - 3
Dorco Pace 4 - 1

Even worse for cartridge razors

Most used Blades
GEM stainless - 55
Chinese Schick - 40
Schick Twin NOS - 16

No DE blades anywhere near the top

Most used Brushes
MÜHLE 25mm Synthetic - 108
Jayaruh 302 - 15
TOST LE 2018 - 15
Yaqi Badger - 15

The MÜHLE finally got competition, but it still rules.

Most used Soaps:
Tabac Original - 85
De Vergulde Hand - 28
Faena Mastic - 11

Predictable.

Most used Aftershaves
Tabac Original - 39
Tüff Sensitiv - 28
Hagner Tobacco - 25

The Hagner was nice for the price, but I won't restock.

Shave Of The Year 2018
  • Tabac Original Soap
  • MÜHLE 25mm STF brush
  • Eversharp Fashion Razor (Schick H1)
  • Chinese Schick blade
  • Tabac Original ASL

A very happy 2019 to you all!

Holy crap! and I think I'm guilty of over analysing stuff. I couldn't imagine detailing every single shave for a year. Fair play to you. I've been a big fan of the Muhle STF too. 23mm and always used for travel because of the tube that comes with it. I've seen comments of it supposedly lagging behind the newer crop of synths, but I think it's still my fave out of the 4 that I own.

Settled on Polsilver and ordered 100 of them, so all of my shaves in the next year (at least) will be with Polsilver SI.

If I had to pick a razor that's the winner from all of my handles is my New Improved (or Deluxe in silver?). Not my out and out favourite but very very good, and crucially bought this year.

I'm struggling to pick a favourite brush from the ones I've bought... I got a Simpson Classic 1 Manchurian, and a vintage Simpson 58 Best, and they're both slightly different but equally enjoyable. If this one was based on usage alone, it should probably go to the Classic.

Fine Aftershave Lotions were my post shave winner. I bought 3; Platinum, American Blend and L'Orange Noir. I thought the Platinum would be my favourite, and it is nice, but I enjoy the old fashioned scent of AB. The winner however, has to be L'Orange Noir. I struggle to find a day where I don't want to wear it.

Happy New Year TSR folks.

Last edited:
SOTY?

Razor

Colonial General - A great welcome to the world of SE's which just happens to be a wonderful bit of kit
Ikon B1 SB - Scared me shitless for years until I learnt how to use it and I don't think I have any other razor which gives the closest shave possible with minimal passes.

Brush

Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic - Makes everything else I have redundant. A real lather monster which comes complete with a big hand friendly handle

Cream

OSP - Given I have some 10 tubs of the stuff just about says everything.
Gentleman's Tonic - So overlooked and bloody brilliant

Aftershave product

L'Occitane aftershave balm - End of story

Scent

ADP Colonia Club - By far my favourite daily reach
YSL L'Homme - Chosen by my lady who knows me better than I do

Water

Whatever they get at my father's place in Market Weighton. Fucking awesome stuff which makes a huge difference. I would happily come here and use his water everyday if it wasn't for the fact it is 125 miles away and I'd have to put up with him longer than is necessary

Wow guys this is impressive. I think I might give this a go in 2019. Is there any links to sharing your spreadsheets. I am encouraged that Tabac is a regular performer. I love it as a soap though am sometimes lured towards the more fancy stuff but always seem to find myself coming back. Happy New year.

Back
Top Bottom