SR - How much pressure

hi folks, newbie question time again please.

I'm aware that in terms of blade angle I should be starting out at around the 30 degree mark, in essence relatively flat. What I've yet to figure out is the sort of pressure to be applied on the downstroke. I read about the DE guys requiring next to no pressure letting the weight of the razor do all the work but what about us SR folk - any tips would be helpful please. Cheers

I'm aware that in terms of blade angle I should be starting out at around the 30 degree mark, in essence relatively flat. What I've yet to figure out is the sort of pressure to be applied on the downstroke. I read about the DE guys requiring next to no pressure letting the weight of the razor do all the work but what about us SR folk - any tips would be helpful please. Cheers
It's just the same, no pressure, sharp blade, right angle and gently shave. :)

An SR is Way More Sensitive & Commands More Delicacy & Skill to Use & a Lighter Touch than any Safety Razor..Also Various Grinds Influence Pressure Dynamics & Levels of Accuracy..In Addition..With an SR the Light Pressure Used is in a Constant State of Change Just Enough to Whack the Whiskers..o_O

They Say..It Takes a 100 Shaves to Master an SR..I Would Agree..Around 30 Shaves will Take a Person to a Competent Level..Then the Learning Begins..Also..Whilst its Not Required..In My Opinion..A Person that is Competent at Honing SRs Very Well is Probably More Apt Towards Taking their SR Shaving Skills to the Highest Levels..:rolleyes:

A Person that Hones SRs will Take that Knowledge & Understanding of the Dynamics of Sharpening them Using Subtle Changing Pressure Into their Own Shaving Practices..:D

Billy

Last edited:
'No' pressure, as mentioned above. You want to be confident in your movements but you're shaving the foam off, rather than aiming to shave the hair off. Bear that and the fact barbers practice removing foam from a balloon with an SR in mind and you'll be on the right tracks.

Get that angle right and all else falls into place. Don't fool yourself into thinking a bit of pressure will help - the only thing it'll help with is a hot face and mucho razor burn!

Hope this helps!

To describe the amount of pressure is very difficult.
I think that if the razor is very sharp, like a shavette then you really are using the lightest of touches.
With a straight I sometimes feel like I'm scraping the lather off my face, but not in the same way I'd scrape a carrot, if that helps?
More like the way I'd spoon some froth of the top of a cappuccino. Patience is key though, take time, and there is no substitute for practice, you'll get a feel for it, trust me.

Back
Top Bottom