Stahly review

Hiya,

So yeah, this is gonna be about the Stahly and how it performs. Yiou've seen em before most likely, and never gave a thought to buying one.

If you do purchase a Stahly and it works (vibrates), the shave is really ok. Yeah, the vibrating part doesn't actually get in the way of the shave much at all. Heh, the handle sure does though. Yeah, it's like shaving with a small flashlight.

The head is amazing, when screwed onto another razor handle of some kind. I've used a FH Tech and a ball end Old Type handle, and maybe a few more.

Now I like a mild razor (#4 adjustable setting), which means most every fixed head type razors are gonna be set higher than my number. Yes, that includes superspeeds and even a Tech. I have no problem using razors with more than the usual bite, but none would be my go to razor.

So the Stahly head fits me perfectly....craziest damn thing I gotta say. I can load an Iridium and have a classic mild razor/sharp blade combo ready to go. This is one of the few heads that totally tames a Feather blade, which makes a nice option. It's not just because it's a mild preset head, but also the design itself. Very similar to a Tech, but on steriods. I like Techs anyway, but the Stahly is a large step from those.

It's a heavy little thing, both the baseplate and head itself have some weight. Nice and rounded profile....just what I normally like on my face. I think the head must be chrome plated since it doesn't seem to get dirty like nickle does. Fits together very well....good workmanship.

Well, the bad news is the prices may be rising on these items. Yeah, a while back someone on another forum mentioned using a Stahly head and also quoted CC Bob as liking em a lot and bingo. Yeah, until then they were reasonable but those days are probably mostly over now I believe.

So that's the deal with these things. Personally, I could use a Stahly frankenrazor every day and be perfectly happy. It ranks right up with my go to razor dialed in just right. If you want an aggressive razor, this ain't it. It's not for everyone, but I think most people should at least give the Stahly head a try and see what happens.

Martin

[attachment=4283]Martin: It has been a short time ago since you first loaned me the Stahly Live Blade (SLB) head and since that time the razors on the Bay have shot up in value. I managed to get two, both in the $20-25.00 range. One in leather case the other just like your case presented here. A few days ago a Stahly with wooden case sold for $92.00; with a norm recently being in the mid to high 40s, this now is becoming the new norm of 60-92. People are throwing money at a Stahly that doesn't even work/vibrate for cripes sake. The head is just a fantastic shaver and it must be Chrome. All 3 SLB razor I looked at have unblemished heads.

The fun part is going through the collection and trying out various handles with the head. I picked up a jewelry box at good will (.90 cents) that has enough room for only the head. You can also pick these craft boxes up at a crafts store, like JoAnns, for making even a presentable razor case - you supply the stain and elbow grease of course.

Similar results like Martin with a Feather and Iridium. After about a dozen shaves with the head alone, on different handles, I can't say I even got a nick and the shave goes rapidly with ease. Surprizes everyone that trys it out; very mild. Yes this is a very differant shave and one has to try a shave with the Stahly handle just for shits and giggles. I never thought I would be shaving with a vibrator - but after hanging out with the locals at TSR, anything is possible - even Brovil.

Hogs and Quiches, Rob

Attachments

• Stahly Frankenstien.jpg
    Stahly Frankenstien.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
Tall_Paul said:
Nice review Martin.

I've always been put off them due to the size but they do seem to be going up in value so it looks like you made yet another wise investment!

Yeah, those handles weigh about half a pound or so, and it's a wierd feeling holding it in my hand during the shave. Heh, that's why I never use the handle with the head. Well that, and the thing doesn't vibrate anymore.

Best thing is if you can find a Stahley that's busted with a good head. I gotta believe most people would think that would be true junk, but it's not the case at all. For many people, the head fits very well.

I'm guessing, but probably a good condition cased Stahly would auction out at around $40-50, and without a case for maybe $25 or around there. Seen em go as high as $100, which is pretty nuts. Actually, the cases included with some of these are quite nicely done.

I know other people who own the Stahly and they really like it also. I know others who think the shaves are nothing special....business as usual. I would say if you enjoy a Tech-like mild head with that great rounded profile, then this one will do the trick. It's also a good one to go ATG, since it's pretty intuitive and not aggressive at all.

No one was more shocked than me when I tried the head on a different handle. I sure wasn't expecting much. Heh, matter of fact these last three days have been with the Stahly/ABC handle combo.

Martin

Robert Otten said:
Martin: It has been a short time ago since you first loaned me the Stahly Live Blade (SLB) head and since that time the razors on the Bay have shot up in value. I managed to get two, both in the $20-25.00 range. One in leather case the other just like your case presented here. A few days ago a Stahly with wooden case sold for $92.00; with a norm recently being in the mid to high 40s, this now is becoming the new norm of 60-92. People are throwing money at a Stahly that doesn't even work/vibrate for cripes sake. The head is just a fantastic shaver and it must be Chrome. All 3 SLB razor I looked at have unblemished heads.

Similar results like Martin with a Feather and Iridium. After about a dozen shaves with the head alone, on different handles, I can't say I even got a nick and the shave goes rapidly with ease. Surprizes everyone that trys it out; very mild. Yes this is a very differant shave and one has to try a shave with the Stahly handle just for shits and giggles. I never thought I would be shaving with a vibrator - but after hanging out with the locals at TSR, anything is possible - even Brovil.

Hogs and Quiches, Rob

Hey there, bestest Benefactor Bob,

Yeah, I think you got in just before prices went north, and I understand your Stahlys are some very nice examples. Man, I'm surprised to hear even a busted one is in demand like it is.....well maybe not surprised actually. Word does get around when something's good for lots of people. Sadly, I don't even have a back up!!!! Oh NOOOO. Heh, I'll find one at a flea market this summer most likely. The one I bought there about a year ago ran me $5 with a nice case. Course, it stopped working during the first shave, but nothing lasts forever......

My pleasure introducing you to an odd thing to shave with...glad it fits well.

Type at you later buddy,

Martin

Attachments

• ABC- Stahly 002 (Small).jpg
    ABC- Stahly 002 (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom