Standard razor - a revelation

I've always preferred heavier, CC or OC, but tending to aggressive, razors. If they happen to be stainless, or can have a nicely-knurled heavyweight bespoke handle, then so much the better. Older models also appeal greatly.

However, prompted in part by favourable reviews here and elsewhere, I persuaded myself that I really should buy one of the new Standard razors from the USA. I had a sneaking feeling that something so novel (at least, to me), lightweight, and made entirely of aluminium, might quickly end up at the back of the drawer.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Whether it's just serendipity that this razor suits me especially well, I would say that of all the razors I have or have had, this is one of the best.

It's "aggressively smooth", the angle is just right, as is the length and balance. Although featherweight, it handles and shaves as well as ATTs, Webers etc. In use, I seem not to notice its lightness, as it makes short work in a couple of passes.

I give it top marks.

Ferrum said:
axelk said:
Only 1 black one left in stock but plenty of white ones.

That's worked out well, then. The one I had from the USA is black, and a white one is en route to me from you this very instant.

Oh, perfect! I sent it this morning so it should be with you tomorrow or day after. Let me know when you get it.

So, to anyone who's tried these, do they live up to the shave quality claims made on the standard razor website? If they do I'm rather tempted.

TO copy and paste my own post if I may :

Shave one :
Sunday night shave, so two days growth to remove.

Hot shower.
My usual white proraso and bodger.
Black standard, supplied ASP.
Normal method to me, wtg, xtg x2, atg.

Result : thought I'd used my 39c !
But only is respect of the closeness, standard gave a much more comfortable shave.
A week of these, and my favoured Sunday night 39c will be on the bst.... !

Tomorrow... With my favoured plb.

Now wondering if I'll really ever need a Weber.

Very impressed.

Q. Is it an 89 variant.
A. No. ( but it looks very similar ) .

Shave two, in a few minutes ;)

Shave two :

Cold water / facewash.
Black standard, Lab Blue 1.
Hot shower.
Nivea Sensitive ASB.

Not BBS, but not far off.
Much smoother in the pass than any of my previously used razors.
Irritation free, just feel a little ' fresh ' on my neck.
Lab Blue is my go to blade, but I have a feeling the ASB is supplied for a very good reason !

Third tomorrow :)

Oh, quick nb : the black finish helps with knowing all soap is rinsed away ;)

shavecraft said:
So, to anyone who's tried these, do they live up to the shave quality claims made on the standard razor website? If they do I'm rather tempted.

I'm usually pretty cynical about newfangled things like this, but, in this instance, I think the Standard does come near the claims.

Of course, it's wholly subjective.

I should add that I've been hacking away with the one free Astra blade that came with it. That's a good blade, but perhaps not the best. However, it seems to perform far better in this razor than in most of my others.

Shave Three :

Hot shower.
Nivea facewash.
Cold water .
Black standard, Lab Blue 2.
Nivea Replenishing ASB.

BBS and no sting from the ASB.

A few more as good as this, and I'll be purchasing a white for sure !

Back
Top Bottom