Starter Kit Recommendations ?

Evening all,

At the moment i'm using a Dorco Pace 6 razor with some Gillette shaving gel. I've decided I would like to try DE Shaving. I've done some research but i'm not sure where to start.
Does anyone have any starter kit recommendations? Looking to spend no more than £100 (Razor, Brush, Pre Shave, Soap, etc?)
Thanks

Personally, Anthony at Shave Lounge,...Live chat with him, he's very helpful, he may suggest something else but he appreciates your business and will not try to fleece you,...you'll do that yourself after being on here a week,....:)
Anything else just ask on here,.... but watch out for Blademonkey,..he's a bad man.

Personally, Anthony at Shave Lounge,...Live chat with him, he's very helpful, he may suggest something else but he appreciates your business and will not try to fleece you,...you'll do that yourself after being on here a week,....:)
Anything else just ask on here,.... but watch out for Blademonkey,..he's a bad man.
Smashing, thanks for the help

My own first choice would be an Edwin Jagger or Muhle R89, they're the same exceptionally user friendly head si it's just which handle you prefer. Pack of assorted blades from Connaughts Shaving and, to be honest, I'd drop them an email and ask Paul what brush and soap he'd recommend and if he'll give you a TSR deal on the whole package. Connaughts are members on here and are a straight as a die to deal with. As, indeed, are the other suppliers previously mentioned.

JohnnyO. o/

Good advice above.
Palmolive stick is very good & the equal of anything 10x the price. Palmolive cream is excellent too & I found creams easier to get going at first.

Shave lounge sell a really good starter kit, all their items are well considered.

Alternatively, if you go for the Wilkie route from the high st, consider buying a £10 brush from shave lounge an omega 10049, omega s-brush or semogue, razorock synthetics etc would make a real difference. Any of them are in a different league to a supermarket boar brush.

Welcome to TSR!

I would also recommend the Merkur 34 c HD, if your new to shaving brush, soap/cream you should maybe go for the Palmolive cream as it's easier to get good lather going with the cream.Heck why not get both, shaving stick and cream you'll find both easy enough in the supermarkets for under £3 for both.
Blade sample packs are a good way to work through what blades you prefer.
I woud also recommend the Shave lounge ,Anthony is very good to deal with and very helpful.
Shaving brushes you could go for a Semogue boar hair most of them are under £20.
Good luck on your DE shaving journey.

Razors to consider would IMO include the EJ89, Wilkinson Sword Classic and my favourite the Merkur34C.
Brush - Wilkinson Sword boar, Progress Vulfix Grosvenor 404 mixed boar/badger or a EJ pure badger.
Soap - Palmolive shave stick, Wilkinson Sword shave stick, Boots for Men shave soap in bowl
Cream - Palmolive shave cream, Nivea for Men Sensitive shave cream, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood

The great thing I found about DE shaving is the variety of products to use making the experience very personal. You don't buy into a system.

He said 'no more than £100', not as cheap as possible. So I'd splash out on a Merkur Progress (£45-ish) - all the razor you'll ever need unless you join a shaving forum. Then a nice and big synthetic brush. Maybe a Razorock Monster for £18 or thereabouts. A blade sampler kit for under a tenner. Leaves enough money in the kitty for a few dozen Palmolive or Arko sticks, although I'd get something else. Tabac? Speick? Wickham? Doesn't matter. Actually... get a shaving cream first... Palmolive maybe. Then forget that shaving forums exist.

Personally I'd just buy a razor to start. Any of those mentioned would be great. My first was an Edwin Jagger 89 and it was good.

I would continue using the canned goop shaving foam for a little while so you can get used to the razor without any other distractions. I sometimes think that people change EVERYTHING at once and then don't have a great success, but the issue could be so many things that it's difficult to work out what's wrong.

If you just change the razor and get used to it, you can start on the soaps later and then if if the shave get worse you know it's the lather that needs improving not your razor technique/blades.

Just my 2p worth, but this approach worked for me. Now i wouldn't have it any other way!!! :)

Edwin Jagger 89 or Merkur 34 for the razor. I'd avoid adjustables as when you're starting out you need consistency, and an adjustable razor is another variable / thing to mess with. I've owned both razors (still have the 89) and the shave is pretty similar between the two. Personally I think the Jagger is nicer, but either will do you proud.

Palmolive stick, sample pack of blades (Astra SP are popular with most), and then you just need a brush. Synthetics offer the best bang for the buck and are the type I use most despite having a few high-end badgers. The Razorock ones are outstanding value and are excellent, as are the Edwin Jagger or Muhle synthetics, go for whichever you best like the price / look of.

Last edited:
Merkur 34C razor, Semogue 830 boar brush, Proraso Sandalwood soap in a bowl, blade sampler pack, alum block and any moisturiser would set you up with a great kit which will last (well soaps will need replenishing). I think canned foam is too dry, gel is more slick but making up your lather is best. Preparation and technique should be your focus. I don't think you need a pre-shave item but if you think you have sensitive skin go for the Proraso soap for sensitive skin. The brush will take about 30 shaves to break in but it will be worth it.
As for vendors, well whomever gives you the best deal.
Check out Mantic59 on Youtube for further guidance. Enjoy your shaves.

Back
Top Bottom