Straight Razor help

I bought a gold dollar from billy1i on eBay who many on here said was a very reputable seller. I'm not having a lot of success with it tbh. I've been unable to get any sort of closeness with it and it barely takes the stubble off. It was sold as being shave ready but doesn't feel it to me.

I stay in Livingston and was wondering if there's anyone who knows someone close to here that could hone it properly?

I am wondering if you should start with a shavette to get the technique right before moving to a straight razor. At least you will then have a comparison to what is to expected, provided you apply the razor to the correct angles. Shavettes are inexpensive and much cheaper than the cost to get to a razor to a shave ready state.
Might I also suggest you strop it a couple of times to make sure the edge is in good condition for shaving.

That Surprizes Me & Yet Doesn't Surprize Me..The Seller Does Indeed Sell Excellent Shave Ready Gold Dollars that He Test Shaves..I Have Spoken to Him a Few Times..I Got My 1st Shave Ready Gold Dollar from Billy 1 & I Couldn't Get a Shave Out of it as Well..That is Not Unusual..o_O

Most People are Not Going to Get Anything Like a Decent Shave from any Shave Ready SR in the Beginning..Also..I Don't Know if You have Stropped it but its Also Possible that the Edge has been Damaged/Dulled Due to Inexperienced Stropping..That Can & Sometimes Does Happen as Well..:)

Billy

Last edited:
Change up your angles. Have a look around at videos and suchlike and see how different people's angles vary. I've found quite a shallow angle works well enough for me. Incorrect stropping (usually too much pressure) is a good way to dull a blade and practice will make perfect in that respect.

Billyji1's SRs are shave ready, but I noticed a huge difference sending one to @Fergiebilly , he puts a very keen edge on a razor, whereas Billyji1's seem to be a bit more 'grabby', for want of a better word.

Back
Top Bottom