Straight razors on Antiques Roadshow

Did anyone see the chap with the straight razors on the Antiques Roadshow this evening (30th November)? As I type, the programme is still on, but, 24 minutes in, there was a chap with Fiona Bruce who had a fine collection of straights. He used all the examples in the display case, which he reckoned he kept in the dining room, much to his wife's displeasure, and he honed all of them. At the moment, you can view the programme from opening titles here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone, but the programme will be available on the iPlayer for 7 days as from later this evening. Is he known to us, or is he a random straight razor enthusiast?

just watched it - not too shabby a collection! although some of them appear to have been polished a little too severely for my taste, i like a bit of character in my older blades (just personal taste of course)

BraveBlades said:
just watched it - not too shabby a collection! although some of them appear to have been polished a little too severely for my taste, i like a bit of character in my older blades (just personal taste of course)

I did wonder, but, being a DE man, I'm no expert on straight honing and maintenance.

Gairdner said:
I'd like to have a go at Fiona Bruce with my straight......:angel:

like-icon-1005134158.png

Hello! 'Twas me on the antiques roadshow with some of my collection. It was filmed a good 18 months or so ago. They must have had a good 15 minutes or so of footage but only used a mere 2 minutes! I'm still using many of the razors in my rotation today although some new additions have crept in along the way!!

She was a little yes. I spoke to her beforehand and had a good chat about them. She said she was under the impression straights only got used in films these days. I told her there was a few of us left still!!

Manchestertattoo said:
She was a little yes. I spoke to her beforehand and had a good chat about them. She said she was under the impression straights only got used in films these days. I told her there was a few of us left still!!

Wow, you got to chat to Fiona... worth starting a collection just for that! :icon_razz:

Manchestertattoo said:
Hello! 'Twas me on the antiques roadshow with some of my collection. It was filmed a good 18 months or so ago. They must have had a good 15 minutes or so of footage but only used a mere 2 minutes! I'm still using many of the razors in my rotation today although some new additions have crept in along the way!!

Forgot to ask - did they attempt to value any of them?

I spoke to 4 different experts that day, one of them a cutlery/silverware expert and they all said I knew more about my razors than they did. I know the values of them as I used to buy, restore and sell them for a few years, I went mainly to see if anyone could give me any info I didn't already know about them. It was a very interesting day out nevertheless and there were some lovely antiques knocking about.

Back
Top Bottom