strop oil

Some strop oils are Lanolin/main ingredient is lanolin, also NeatsFoot Oil is used to condition the strop, Almond oil is used for conditioning leathers(anything made of leather, like shoes, belts, bags etc..) as well. So any of these would do.
In my opinion if the strop is quality and brand new, probably you won't need to apply any. Also rubbing your hand on the strop may be enough. But if you really want to buy, go for the little white tube with yellow stripe(Lanolin) and/or strop balm is good as well(in a round little tin can) they are widely available on the net.
Just be careful where you keep your strop: Avoid leaving/keeping in hot places(airing cupboard, leaving it under the sun, by the heater/radiator etc..) as it will dry the leather and strop will cup(edges drying and curving inwards). Never fold it(like folding a newspaper), Do not leave/keep in the bathroom all the time because of steam.
Once or twice a year you can make a nice, thick lather with MWF soap and apply the lather on the strop and leave it overnight and then rub the dry lather off with your hand, this will clean and condition the strop as well.

Thank you Sezer, all the advice i need. I have almond oil and was going to get MWF so i'm sorted :)
Cool, I'm glad to hear that it helped.
Also the best way to apply these oils and balms; take a tiny amount and put in and spread it in your palm and then rub it on the strop, making sure that oil is applied evenly. Resist the urge of applying more than enough oil on the strop as excessive oil may ruin your strop.

Some Strops May Come with a Stropping Paste..I Have One..The Paste is Used for Draw of the Strop..This Particular Strop is like a Shiny Finish Cowhide..My Expensive Tony Miller Heirloom Strop I Never Put Anything on it Except a Quick Rub Up & Down with the Grease from My Palm..o_O

Using an Oil Can Ruin Some Strops..Most New Strops Only Ever Need a Palm Rub Until Warm Before & After Use.. You Probably Don't want to add Oil or Conditioner on a New Strop as they are Usually Impregnated with Leather Conditioner from the Factory & the Palm Rub Downs Will Usually Suffice to Bring it to the Surface..:D

Billy

Last edited:
whats excessive draw,is it stickiness of the strop?
Its a Feeling on the Strop..The Amount of Draw Weight s a Personal Choice Kinda thing..Like Maybe a Hair Trigger on a Rifle Compared to a Staged Trigger with a Heavier Draw Weight..:)

Different Leathers have Different Attributes..For example.. Latigo has a lot of Draw..But has a Kinda Waxy Feel to it..Suede Type Strops have a Lot of Draw with a Clean Feeling..Some Shinier Finished Cowhide has Little Draw..;)

The Best Advice I Can Offer is Just Learn to Strop & Shave & the Rest will Fall into Place..Understanding Draw is in the Practical Experience of Stropping..:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
Just bought a Bengall near wedge blade and was surprised by the amount of draw created compared to my full hollow blades, lesson learned more surface area more draw I guess, anyway rounded edge a tad and had to take one more turn on pink and light green lapping film :)
A Bengal Wedge or Near Wedge is Just a Lump of Steel..Its a Far Heavier Blade on the Strop & Takes a Bit More Care..Various Blades Feel Different on the Strop & thats Another Dynamic Feeling Wise..Stainless, Carbon, Various Grinds & Blade Weight..Etc..o_O

Billy

Some Strops May Come with a Stropping Paste..I Have One..The Paste is Used for Draw of the Strop..This Particular Strop is like a Shiny Finish Cowhide..My Expensive Tony Miller Heirloom Strop I Never Put Anything on it Except a Quick Rub Up & Down with the Grease from My Palm..o_O

Using an Oil Can Ruin Some Strops..Most New Strops Only Ever Need a Palm Rub Until Warm Before & After Use.. You Probably Don't want to add Oil or Conditioner on a New Strop as they are Usually impregnated with Leather Conditioner from the Factory & the Palm Rub Downs Will Usually Suffice to Bring it to the Surface..:D

Billy
+1

Back
Top Bottom