Suit jacket

good morning, I have a two button suit jacket of which I am thinking of changing it to a three button . I just think that three button jackets look better but I wonder if any of you good folk have any views on two versus three?.

If you prefer three, go with three! :) I've a two-button suit jacket and a one-button suit jacket personally. I definitely think a three-button looks more formal (generally speaking) but I tend towards two for reasons I can't really pinpoint.

I believe it could depend to an extent on your build, Luka. If you're slimmer waisted and the jacket has a full waist suppresion line to it then a two button will be more flattering, drawing the eye unconciously down the bodyline to the centre and bringing attention to the natural taper from shoulders to waistline.
A three button will ' blanket ' the body more and tend to camouflage any mild thickening at the waist. In both instances I'm assuming the top button of the 2 button and the middle button of the 3 button are fastened only.
In the end though you'll be wearing it ... go for what you feel comfortable and look good in.

JohnnyO. o/

Would depend entirely on the colour of the suit and the occasions that it will be worn.
A dark business or semi-formal occasion would certainly require a three button jacket, whereas a dark "lounge", suit for social wear certainly looks better with two, or even single buttons.
A lighter coloured suit for the country certainly benefits from a two button fastening, in order to display a tasteful waistcoat.

Fashion of the day has a lot to do with it. I go what looks best on me, however. For whatever reason my business suits have 2 buttons, but my blazer and tweed jacket have 3 buttons and my unstructured sports coat has 2 buttons. One thing that drives me crazy is to see a man in a 3 button jacket with all 3 buttons fastened; fastening the centre one is quite adequate as is only fastening the top button on a 2 button jacket. Weather and sports presenters on the tellie like to fasten all the buttons on their jackets making them look like over-stuffed sausages.

Thanks everyone I tried a three button one on and to be fair it didn't look right on me as Johnny o said it depends on the persons build , so I plumped for the two button, it's just nice to get any advice .cheers

I believe it could depend to an extent on your build, Luka. If you're slimmer waisted and the jacket has a full waist suppresion line to it then a two button will be more flattering, drawing the eye unconciously down the bodyline to the centre and bringing attention to the natural taper from shoulders to waistline.
A three button will ' blanket ' the body more and tend to camouflage any mild thickening at the waist. In both instances I'm assuming the top button of the 2 button and the middle button of the 3 button are fastened only.
In the end though you'll be wearing it ... go for what you feel comfortable and look good in.

JohnnyO. o/

Johnny... you're a style arbiter!

And it turns out I agree with you. OP, wear what you're comfortable with, definitely!

Personally, I do prefer two-button jackets... or 3-roll-2 ones... the epitome of elegance :rolleyes:

Johnny... you're a style arbiter!

And it turns out I agree with you. OP, wear what you're comfortable with, definitely!

Personally, I do prefer two-button jackets... or 3-roll-2 ones... the epitome of elegance :rolleyes:

Ah, but you are cheating by having the natural good taste and style of a Spanish gentleman Juan Manuel. In clothing and scents you already possess a natural discrimination.

JohnnyO. o/

Back
Top Bottom