Synthetic brushes?

AJP

Have these really come on so much in the past couple of years? When I was last more active here a few years ago there were a few synthetics on the market but they didn't get too much coverage. Now people seem to rave about them. Have they really come on so much in recent years?

(Just ordered myself a Razorock 'Bruce' synthetic so I can have a play too - until this week I hadn't bought any shave related bits for a few years as I wanted to try and get through some of what I'd accrued . Typically, pop in here and I've bought 3 more soaps, an AS and now another brush!!).

Have these really come on so much in the past couple of years? When I was last more active here a few years ago there were a few synthetics on the market but they didn't get too much coverage. Now people seem to rave about them. Have they really come on so much in recent years?

(Just ordered myself a Razorock 'Bruce' synthetic so I can have a play too - until this week I hadn't bought any shave related bits for a few years as I wanted to try and get through some of what I'd accrued . Typically, pop in here and I've bought 3 more soaps, an AS and now another brush!!).
In a word, yes. Even I've been tempted so would love to hear how you and Bruce get on :)

Reactions: AJP
It will be interesting, less an Edwin Jagger Silvertip (bought on the BST here years ago, and a Vulfix 404 all my brushes are New Forest ones made by Fido a few years ago).
Apparently you can lather a brick with the new breed of synthetics :)
I do love badger and boar though and have never been keen on anything synthetic, be it clothing , bedding, ect... But the brushes by all accounts now are good and cheap.

Apparently you can lather a brick with the new breed of synthetics :)
I do love badger and boar though and have never been keen on anything synthetic, be it clothing , bedding, ect... But the brushes by all accounts now are good and cheap.
I've also never been the slightest bit interested in synthetic brushes or even used one but much has been said of them lately and just to see what all the fuss is about, I've ordered the Razorock400 synth which should be landing next week. It'll be interesting to see what all the hype is about. Personally, I don't hold much hope for it but for under 20 quid, who cares...:)

I've also never been the slightest bit interested in synthetic brushes or even used one but much has been said of them lately and just to see what all the fuss is about, I've ordered the Razorock400 synth which should be landing next week. It'll be interesting to see what all the hype is about. Personally, I don't hold much hope for it but for under 20 quid, who cares...:)
Would be interested to hear your thoughts after a few uses with it John :)

Obviously not all synthetics are created equal, but after narrowing it down to the ones that work for me, I sold all my badgers. Ones I personally would recommend are any brushes with 'Plissoft' knots (including Plisson, RazoRock and Maggard), and Muhle or Edwin Jagger (they use the same knots).

Besides their soft tips and ease of lathering, what impresses me most about them is how easily they release lather (compared to badgers).

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with different brushes, 1 boar (semogue 620) and 3 synthetics, but the synthetics are excellent - love the ease of lathering and fast drying

Obviously not all synthetics are creates equal, but after narrowing it down to the ones that work for me, I sold all my badgers. Ones I personally would recommend are any brushes with 'Plissoft' knots (including Plisson, RazoRock and Maggard), and Muhle or Edwin Jagger (they use the same knots).

Besides their soft tips and ease of lathering, what impresses me most about them is how easily they release lather (compared to badgers).

^^^ This just about sums it up.... except having personally gone to the trouble and expense of buying a brace of, not especially cheap, badgers (including three from shavemac) I'm reluctant to get rid of them (obviously at a substantial loss). But if starting again and with the benefit of hindsight I'd stick to my Jagger, Plisson and Razorock synthetics. I now know what size brush I like and what I don't like and realistically only need one or two decent synthetics to satisfy my modest needs... and furthermore I'd feel better to think I wasn't rubbing a badgers overcoat on my face and would prefer the badger was still wearing it.

I have two synthetics - one of the original L'occitane Plissons and a newer Plisson Maison de Barbier with a faux ivory handle. Both are superb brushes. Soft on the face, dry in seconds and they make mountains of lather from even the hardest of soaps. Neither has ever lost a hair and the L'occitane has been through maybe 700 shaves at this stage. My first brush was a Semogue boar and I was on the verge of going back to canned goop until I stumbled across the Plisson.

Greetings

The latest generation of synthetics in my opinion set a completely new standard in shaving brushes especially in terms of how easily they build lather, how soft they feel on the face, how little lather remains 'stuck' in the knot, how resistant they are to abuse by scrubbing and the super value they represent.

Regards
Dick.

Cheers all. I'm looking forward to putting the Razorock 'Bruce' through its paces. It will be interesting to see how it gets on next to my New Forest Badgers.

I have 4 synthetics (3 Razorock and 1 Muhle). IMO the Razorock are way ahead of the Muhle and at half the price to!

The Razorocks are in the daily rotation and the badgers have been retired back to their boxes now. They are just so versatile, for both face and bowl lathering, they dry out quickly and will lather anything. For the money, I don't think they can be beaten.

Back
Top Bottom