The General in brass

Colonial Razors FB page just mentioned that they will soon take delivery on two machined brass versions of The General for evaluation. If all goes well, we may see a brass version soon.

So since the time I preordered their black version for $40, they started selling the head only silver version for $28 and now there might be a brass version. And I haven't even taken delivery on my black preorder yet!

I daresay a brass version will be a quality product, but, as far as I'm concerned, they've hit the spot with the aluminium version. If I wanted more weight, which I don't, then I'd use a heavier stainless handle.
I speak as one who likes heavy razors, who never thought he'd get on with the Standard DE, but now has several lightweight aluminium razors, both DE and SE.

The problem with using an SS handle is that eventually the aluminum threads will perish.
If it's such a good razor that everybody loves, then an SS version will guarantee longevity.
I'm all for it.
Any thread will do so in time, but I've not had any problems with razors that have had brass or steel threads running into aluminium handles for many decades e.g. Techs and Pal DEs.
With Shavecraft aluminium heads on stainless handles, I always keep the threads lightly lubricated with waterproof silicon grease. I also do this for all-aluminium razors, and I find that, apart from preserving the threads, it also helps in avoiding cross-threading.
I'm sure that a Colonial, be it the brass prototyped, or stainless, would be a very good razor. It will, however, be a very different thing to the aluminium version, in terms of handling and so forth, and I'm not entirely sure that the longevity would, for me, be sufficient compensation for the quite radical alteration in what I consider a superb razor "as is".
Each to his own, naturally.

Any thread will do so in time, but I've not had any problems with razors that have had brass or steel threads running into aluminium handles for many decades e.g. Techs and Pal DEs.
With Shavecraft aluminium heads on stainless handles, I always keep the threads lightly lubricated with waterproof silicon grease. I also do this for all-aluminium razors, and I find that, apart from preserving the threads, it also helps in avoiding cross-threading.
I'm sure that a Colonial, be it the brass prototyped, or stainless, would be a very good razor. It will, however, be a very different thing to the aluminium version, in terms of handling and so forth, and I'm not entirely sure that the longevity would, for me, be sufficient compensation for the quite radical alteration in what I consider a superb razor "as is".
Each to his own, naturally.

A razor manufacturer has to cater for a variety of clientele, meaning not every one of us takes such good care of their razors, i,e lubricating, drying and avoiding over tightening. In such a situation, I think the aluminum on SS will not last forever. There are also users who replace the original handle for a heavier one, thus the conversation we are having now.
By making a SS one these two issues are no longer relevant and I'll be the first one to agree that some like it as it is. YMMV. Inevidably, the behavior of the razor will change, but I think the maker will perform ample testing of the one against the other and decide whether it's a sideways move or a forward one.

The Brass General is out on April 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM ET. The price will be $99.99 + shipping.

In e-mail they wrote:

The newly-designed handle is approximately 12.20 mm in diameter and 83 mm long. It is not slippery and gives The General a more minimalistic look. The total weight of the razor is approximately 130 grams, which is considerably more than the 44 gram aluminum version.

How does the brass razor shave compared to the aluminum version? In our opinion, it takes The General to a whole new level in efficiency and performance! The aluminum is a wonderful version, but we feel the brass is going to be loved even more by the community. If you love the aluminum version, you will love the brass even more! If you've never tried The General, we are hoping to earn your business and you can see for yourself why so many gentlemen and ladies in the community have spoken highly of it since our release in August 2016.

We have decided to stock this first batch of brass razors on April 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM ET. The price will be $99.99 + shipping.

The Brass General is out on April 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM ET. The price will be $99.99 + shipping.

In e-mail they wrote:

The newly-designed handle is approximately 12.20 mm in diameter and 83 mm long. It is not slippery and gives The General a more minimalistic look. The total weight of the razor is approximately 130 grams, which is considerably more than the 44 gram aluminum version.

How does the brass razor shave compared to the aluminum version? In our opinion, it takes The General to a whole new level in efficiency and performance! The aluminum is a wonderful version, but we feel the brass is going to be loved even more by the community. If you love the aluminum version, you will love the brass even more! If you've never tried The General, we are hoping to earn your business and you can see for yourself why so many gentlemen and ladies in the community have spoken highly of it since our release in August 2016.

We have decided to stock this first batch of brass razors on April 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM ET. The price will be $99.99 + shipping.
Sounds like it's worth a look, I do like a heavier razor and I do like brass.

Absolutly! But to me it looks like new razor. It's heavier, shorter handle... That change lot! But I agree with you - it's worth a look!

But not from this batch! My funds are dry. Only if someone give me unexpected birthday present! :):D
Yes I'm in the same spot, I will have to wait a while before I purchase one, but that gives me a chance to see some reviews beforehand . :)

Back
Top Bottom