The Kraken 248

I've been asked to create a reference thread for The Kraken 248 razor, since there are 1 or 2 others interested in it and others who have already ordered and are awaiting its arrival.
I am in no way affiliated or associated with either Shapeways or the designer of this razor...
The Kraken is a 3D printed slant razor and is available here http://shpws.me/LBmU and only here.
And this is what mine looks like.
455e5defe867873d301f05db510cd399.jpg

7fea1daf09d5149a734f8b69ad0bcef1.jpg

The cost was approx £20, including delivery from Holland, once converted back into Sterling from Euros. I used the standard production waiting time. You have an option to pay a few £ more for a quicker production and an option to pay a few £ less to wait a bit longer than the standard waiting time. It took 7 days from ordering to receiving at my door using the standard wait.
There is also a grey version which costs a bit more.
In addition to the 3 pieces in the (massively oversized) box you'll need an M5 countersunk screw (around 15mm long thread so around 20mm total length. Check with seller for exact dimensions), an M5 nut and a 5mm washer. These can be bought here (thanks to Uncle Bertie for finding) https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/261709653855 Again I am not affiliated it associated with the seller.
The razor itself weighs just 13g fully assembled.
It might not be for everyone and it's definitely a bit fun, but not a novelty razor. I love mine!
The only doubt it the durability and strength of this 3D printed stuff...

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
As for durability: drone115b, the designer of the Kraken, the Sharkbone and the Fishbonerazors, has posted the following on the Dutch forum (start, parafrasing):
The white nylon is a porous, somewhat weaker material, that should be rinsed and dried after each shave. Also, when tightening the screw, don't use too much force because the nylon can bend/deform.
The polished grey, metallic plastic is tougher and a bit heavier, and has a smooth surface.
The unpolished metallic plastic feels like sandpaper.(end)
For me, with my largish rotation and tendency of wanting to try out many different razors, using the white nylon is not a problem since a razor won't get used that often. I figure, anyone who is carefull with his/her material can use it as well. Anyone wanting to use this more often/regular, or who's prone to screw on lids etc too tight, get the polished metallic plastic.

Thanks for the review.
As for durability: drone115b, the designer of the Kraken, the Sharkbone and the Fishbonerazors, has posted the following on the Dutch forum (start, parafrasing):
The white nylon is a porous, somewhat weaker material, that should be rinsed and dried after each shave. Also, when tightening the screw, don't use too much force because the nylon can bend/deform.
The polished grey, metallic plastic is tougher and a bit heavier, and has a smooth surface.
The unpolished metallic plastic feels like sandpaper.(end)
For me, with my largish rotation and tendency of wanting to try out many different razors, using the white nylon is not a problem since a razor won't get used that often. I figure, anyone who is carefull with his/her material can use it as well. Anyone wanting to use this more often/regular, or who's prone to screw on lids etc too tight, get the polished metallic plastic.
Thanks for info...
If/when the white nylon breaks, I'll get a metallic one.
The surface of the white nylon is also not smooth or polished. It helps with the handle grip and the 'roughness' of the cap doesn't bother me at all. (It's not that rough and doesn't feel like sandpaper...)

Yes the nut is held captive in the handle.
I lightly squeeze the baseplate and cap together against the spring tension of the twisted blade with thumb on the screw head and index and middle finger either side of the protruding thread. It's enough to hold the screw still when tightening the handle.

There's a mini review here on the Acquisitions thread...
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?posts/513609/
You can definitely feel the blade against your face and extra care must be taken.
I've only used it a handful of times and I really like it. Others may not. I'm purposely not going to shave for a couple of days to see how easy it copes!
3 days growth dispatched with ease! One WTG pass would have been satisfactory, but I went XTG as well for a smooth finish, just because. [emoji1360]

I sent the designer of the Kraken 248 a message the other day, just to say that I really liked the razor and that others on this forum were showing interest. Here is his reply...

"Thank you so very much for your note. I try to make razors that I will enjoy, but when others enjoy them too, it's a genuine thrill.

I'm working on a steam-punk slant design now. I hope to be able to print in economically in stainless steel, but that remains to be seen. It will allow you to add additional hardware to the handle to customize the weight-balance to your own preference. I also hope to make the parts compatible with regular 3-piece razor parts, so you could mix and match the head and handle with parts from your existing collection. Again, this remains to be seen, but it's a design goal and I have not yet discovered any obstructions to these goals. One person who enjoyed the Sharkbone said that the Kraken was far too aggressive for him, so I will pull back with the steam-punk razor - a shave more comparable to the Sharkbone.

If you have anything special you would like to see, I would be happy to design something in that direction.

There seems to be some talk on some forums about whether nylon is a good material for this application. Nylon does absorb water, but when it dries out, there is no lasting effect. You want it to dry out after each use regardless to prevent rust on your blade or growth of germs. Under normal use in my own home, drying the razor in a normal razor stand has never been a problem. I have found that the deformation due to water absorption is minimal. You can deform the razor much more by over-tightening it. There are some questions whether nylon will last over time. I have some razors that have been in fairly regular use for six or more months and I do not see any significant signs of stress or failure. Nylon will stain because it is porous, but for my prints this has only been a major problem when I printed a razor in black (or when I dyed a razor with fabric dye). The white and metallic plastics have not shown staining for me. I have to confess, I'm not sure why the metallic grey does not show staining from the soaps and creams. In the colored nylon, the soaps and creams get into the pores of the surface and stain it white.

Frankly, I designed around printing in nylon understanding that I could not create razor prints at my price point using any other material. The stainless steel design is going to be more expensive than I would normally do for myself; but the noise on the forums seems to be telling me that people prefer this kind of experience.

I am very happy to entertain any thoughts you have and incorporate your preferences into my designs. Please send along your thoughts at any time, if you like.

Thanks again for the kind words and support.
Mayur"

So it looks like there are other razors in the pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom