The mildest, most idiot-proof Injector?

L

Lucido

Hi there,

So as the title suggests, I am looking for ideas on the mildest injector out there.

I have previously owned a Shick M45 that felt like shaving with a cartridge but gave me some pretty nasty razor burn and left my face looking like a freshly shaved tomato. I PIF'd it to a local wet-shaver but recently have got to thinking that maybe I didn't give Injector shaving a fair trial.

I have sensitive skin and fairly moderate beard growth so I don't need an aggressive shave. Can anyone suggest a nice, comfortable injector? I've considered the Supply Provision but don't want to splash out quite that much.

Kind Regards,
Lucido.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

So as the title suggests, I am looking for ideas on the mildest injector out there.

I have previously owned a Shick M45 that felt like shaving with a cartridge but gave me some pretty nasty razor burn and left my face looking like a freshly shaved tomato. I PIF'd it to a local wet-shaver but recently have got to thinking that maybe I didn't give Injector shaving a fair trial.

I have sensitive skin and fairly moderate beard growth so I don't need an aggressive shave. Can anyone suggest a nice, comfortable injector? I've considered the Supply Provision but don't want to splash out quite that much.

Kind Regards,
Lucido.
Did you try more than one blade? Could have been damaged as the J through N injectors are all very mild.

It's an unusual form factor but the H is worth a try, it's made for ladies' legs but really gets the job done for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It occurred to me that I might be blunting the blades so I tried injecting a new one but had the same result. Like I said, I'm clumsy and would probably get razor burn from a butter knife so an ultra mild razor is really what I need. The Feather AS-D2 of the Injector world, if such a thing exists.

Greetings

That's a fascinating problem especially as the injector you tried is a gentle extremely forgiving shaver, in fact I would go as far to say that it would be hard to find a more forgiving safety razor. I would certainly look beyond the model of razor for a solution, as Billy said it's a piece of cake to bugger up an injector blade loading it, if that 's not the problem frankly I'm stuck for an answer. Perhaps others have some thoughts.

Regards
Dick.

I think, with an injector, it feels natural to have a large skin/blade angle (i.e. handle almost vertical). However this will drag the blade scraping across the skin. You should ensure the razor head is almost flat against the skin to have a smooth cut.

I recently bought a Schick '500' (M type) which seems mild. After the first shave, which didn't feel close enough for me, a tried applying a little pressure for the second shave. This was a mistake as although I had a closer shave it caused some irritation and a few nicks. It's just a mild razor which is very easy and comfortable to use; and that's how it's meant to be.

I was thinking that maybe you too are applying too much pressure because the shave feels mild.

Look into the PAL Golden 500, I find it quite a mild injector razor but effective at the same time. :)
All of the above comments are correct though, it's a completey different angle you are working with so maybe too much pressure is being applied or indeed the blade was US. Maybe have another try. :)

All later Schick injectors from Type I onwards are quite mild (read: 'skin friendly'), the adjustable on '1' ridiculously so.
A few things to keep in mind:
  • Blades. Make sure to have a sharp blade (Chinese Schick, Personna, Japanese Schick) and inject it without running it across the blade stops. Inject slowly and observe. It's not difficult.
  • Angle.. Put the top of the injector flat on your face. You might tilt the razor slightly, but not by much. As soon as the blade cuts - that's the angle. The handle of a Schick injector should be at roughly 45 degrees to your face.
  • NO PRESSURE. No razor requires pressure. Pressure is bad. Let the blade glide over your skin. Good lather helps. If your skin is wrinkly - stretch it. Stretch it anyway. And NO PRESSURE.
  • Prep. and lather - good prep and lather goes without saying. No goo in cans
  • Direction. Shave with the grain (WTG) only until your face doesn't look like a baboon's bum. Even if you don't end up super-smooth. Then add more WTG passes, then go across the grain, then (after a few weeks or months) against the grain. This is probably the most difficult advice to follow. Nobody has the patience. I know I didn't.
  • Allergies - try changing all your products. Just because a product calls itself 'sensitive' doesn't mean your skin will like it (Nivea Sensitive - I'm looking at you!)
If all else fails, try shaving with cold water instead of hot.
If even that fails - grow a beard. :rolleyes:

All later Schick injectors from Type I onwards are quite mild (read: 'skin friendly'), the adjustable on '1' ridiculously so.
A few things to keep in mind:
  • Blades. Make sure to have a sharp blade (Chinese Schick, Personna, Japanese Schick) and inject it without running it across the blade stops. Inject slowly and observe. It's not difficult.
  • Angle.. Put the top of the injector flat on your face. You might tilt the razor slightly, but not by much. As soon as the blade cuts - that's the angle. The handle of a Schick injector should be at roughly 45 degrees to your face.
  • NO PRESSURE. No razor requires pressure. Pressure is bad. Let the blade glide over your skin. Good lather helps. If your skin is wrinkly - stretch it. Stretch it anyway. And NO PRESSURE.
  • Prep. and lather - good prep and lather goes without saying. No goo in cans
  • Direction. Shave with the grain (WTG) only until your face doesn't look like a baboon's bum. Even if you don't end up super-smooth. Then add more WTG passes, then go across the grain, then (after a few weeks or months) against the grain. This is probably the most difficult advice to follow. Nobody has the patience. I know I didn't.
  • Allergies - try changing all your products. Just because a product calls itself 'sensitive' doesn't mean your skin will like it (Nivea Sensitive - I'm looking at you!)
If all else fails, try shaving with cold water instead of hot.
If even that fails - grow a beard. :rolleyes:
Sound advise, although YMMV. For example I usually go WTG and then XTG and corrections something in between XTG and ATG. Never ATG all the way as this gives me irritation. Cold water shaving although some people love it, it doesn't suit my skin. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but again, YMMV.

Thanks everyone. I have a feeling the poor results were the result of dragging the blade across the stops and/or holding the handle too close to the face rather than further out at a 45 degree angle. I'll pick up a Golden 500 on the bay and give it another go :)

Back
Top Bottom