The Old Dog learning new tricks: another UK shaving Brush

jar

I have been using Kent combs, hair brushes and shaving brushes for over a half century and once dated a beautiful young lady who only used hair brushes from another English house called Mason Pearson. She said they were the only brand that never pulled her hair.

Now it might seem unusual for a guy to know what brand hairbrush his girlfriend used but it came about in a more conventional way.

The time was the early sixties and the location a coffeehouse in Baltimore. Now this is not a Starbucks but rather a dimly lighted night club that served no alcohol and had regular entertainment "Buffy St. Marie is one I remember" and my date and two other ladies had gone on one of those pilgrimages of the time where they all go "to powder their noses" but always return in the midst of a heated discussion. This time the topic was hair brushes, it was important and the first one of us males that dared express an opinion immediate received "THE STARE" from all the ladies followed by the total silence retort. Then they returned to the Epistle.

Recently I learned that Mason Pearson also sold shaving brushes in Best and Super Badger and found a brand new one on sale for $50.00 so I decided to give it a try. Other brand new Super Badger examples from Mason Pearson were selling for twice or even three times that amount so I will admit I was somewhat dubious about what I would get.

When it arrived it was packaged like all the others I found on line, had the right color handle, was marked Super Badger but had a blue stain on the very bottom of the handle. Okay, that's a big enough issue to get a brush marked as a second so maybe the price was reasonable; but about three minutes and a dab of Meguiars polish and the stain was gone.

So what is it like?

medium800.jpg

It's heavy weighing in at 81.8g and the handle is bottom weighted. The overall height is 115mm and the handle itself 65mm. After its Spa Day here is the bloom.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

The handle is great when wet and at the first shave it quickly made enough lather for three full passes even though only two were needed.

I have been using Kent combs, hair brushes and shaving brushes for over a half century and once dated a beautiful young lady who only used hair brushes from another English house called Mason Pearson. She said they were the only brand that never pulled her hair.

Now it might seem unusual for a guy to know what brand hairbrush his girlfriend used but it came about in a more conventional way.

The time was the early sixties and the location a coffeehouse in Baltimore. Now this is not a Starbucks but rather a dimly lighted night club that served no alcohol and had regular entertainment "Buffy St. Marie is one I remember" and my date and two other ladies had gone on one of those pilgrimages of the time where they all go "to powder their noses" but always return in the midst of a heated discussion. This time the topic was hair brushes, it was important and the first one of us males that dared express an opinion immediate received "THE STARE" from all the ladies followed by the total silence retort. Then they returned to the Epistle.

Recently I learned that Mason Pearson also sold shaving brushes in Best and Super Badger and found a brand new one on sale for $50.00 so I decided to give it a try. Other brand new Super Badger examples from Mason Pearson were selling for twice or even three times that amount so I will admit I was somewhat dubious about what I would get.

When it arrived it was packaged like all the others I found on line, had the right color handle, was marked Super Badger but had a blue stain on the very bottom of the handle. Okay, that's a big enough issue to get a brush marked as a second so maybe the price was reasonable; but about three minutes and a dab of Meguiars polish and the stain was gone.

So what is it like?

medium800.jpg

It's heavy weighing in at 81.8g and the handle is bottom weighted. The overall height is 115mm and the handle itself 65mm. After its Spa Day here is the bloom.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

The handle is great when wet and at the first shave it quickly made enough lather for three full passes even though only two were needed.
Great story and brush. :) P.

So what is it like?

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

What a great looking brush. I even like the font :)

Last edited:
Great looking brush. Is there a model name or number? I think I'll have to buy one.
No model that I know of. So far it seems there are only two brushes, a Super Badger in the white handle and a Pure Badger in the cream handle. Both the same design. There is still one Super Badger listed at the $50.00 price on eBay.

AbE: All gone.

Last edited:
I bought the Pure Badger version and the knot was simply too floppy and the hair not dense enough. So, I removed the knot and put a dense 2 band Badger in it's place. The handle is the best I have ever used and now the brush is a definite favorite. Easy to hang on to when wet!

Back
Top Bottom