The rise and fall of my straight razor shaving

Took me 100 shaves to sort of "master" the art of straight razor shaving and I really enjoyed the journey but then after another 30 or so shaves: Boooring! Quit shaving totally now hiding behind a full beard looking for new thrills. Maybe a yeard...

Whilst I haven't given up shaving like your good self I have given up the straight part of my journey. I just couldn't get over the thought that this shave could be the one that I really cut myself badly. I enjoyed it but for regular shaving it just wasn't for me. I don't know whether to keep my stuff or sell it all on just yet though.

Last edited:
Whilst I haven't given up shaving like your good self I have given up the straight part of my journey. I just couldn't get over the thought that this shave could be the one that I really cut myself badly. I enjoyed it but for regular shaving it just wasn't for me. I don't know whether to keep my stuff or sell it all on just yet though.
Your giving up straight razor shaving came as a surprise. I'm still in my journey and now wondering if a day will come when I feel like you or indeed the OP.

A similar thought has crossed my mind after not shaving with a straight razor for a few days but every time I end up thinking "I had nothing to worry about lol"

I spent a few days away from home last week and I only took a DE razor with me, I confess I should have taken a SR as I missed it. I hope I never feel like I want to give it up.

Your giving up straight razor shaving came as a surprise. I'm still in my journey and now wondering if a day will come when I feel like you or indeed the OP.

A similar thought has crossed my mind after not shaving with a straight razor for a few days but every time I end up thinking "I had nothing to worry about lol"

I spent a few days away from home last week and I only took a DE razor with me, I confess I should have taken a SR as I missed it. I hope I never feel like I want to give it up.
It just dawned on me that it just takes so long to shave with my sr's and due to my lack of skill and how my hairs grow especially under my chin/jawline I just couldn't achieve a really close shave. I wasnt prepared to have average shaves when I have de's on the shelf that give effortless BBS shaves safely.

It just dawned on me that it just takes so long to shave with my sr's and due to my lack of skill and how my hairs grow especially under my chin/jawline I just couldn't achieve a really close shave. I wasnt prepared to have average shaves when I have de's on the shelf that give effortless BBS shaves safely.
I can understand that, I can get a BBS shave with my R41 in less than half the time.....

It does take a long time but I enjoy it and I'm getting quicker. While I'm developing my technique I'm not bothered by the time it takes me.
Maybe you shouldn't rush to get rid off your stuff.... ;) you never know how you might feel about it in a few months.

After a 100 I would rate my SR shaves as close, comparable with my best DE or SE, but smoother, with hot towel and all it took me 20 minutes to shave on a good day and more like 30 when waking up on the wrong side of bed.

I can understand that, I can get a BBS shave with my R41 in less than half the time.....

It does take a long time but I enjoy it and I'm getting quicker. While I'm developing my technique I'm not bothered by the time it takes me.
Maybe you shouldn't rush to get rid off your stuff.... ;) you never know how you might feel about it in a few months.
I won't sell it just yet. I'll hang on to it like you say I may get the urge again.

Back
Top Bottom