The Willett Debacle

I will state that if I were Danny Willett I would beat my brother Peter with a large heavy object within an inch of his life and then beat him in the future whenever I saw him just for good measure. Peter Willett unleashed the fury of the Gods with his classless commentary. I feel sorry for the British team who had to play the match with this cloud looming over them. Perhaps the whole team should beat Peter mercilessly to ram home the point. Tragic.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/golf...cup-storm-with-astonishing-rant-on-americans/

Seems to me the US spectators behaved in exactly the manner that Mr Willett said they would!!, given that, should the man be pilloried for merely giving accurate prediction of what actually occurred?

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...f-fans-so-distinctly-unlikeable/#.V_bIh-grLIU

...But here's the thing. American golf fans aren't the only ones shouting boring things at a sporting event. Any regular visitor to Newlands or anywhere Yorkshire plays cricket will be familiar with the drawl of “Proooovince” or “Yooooorkshire” ringing out. It's less annoying than a short and persistent chant of “USA, USA, USA”, but it's no less boring. Even a trip to a junior rugby fixture is likely to bring with it “mooi” or “lekker”.

Arsenal fans once taunted their former player Emmanual Adebayor with “when they were shooting, it should have been you” – a reference to the Togolese team bus being attacked by terrorists. In fact, football fans are notorious for homophobic, sexist and offensive chants that can be heard on terraces across England...

A lot of the American fans were terrible during that Ryder cup. I have to agree that Willet's brother was rather selfish with the article. Apparently he is an aspiring writer but the timing was awful. It was probably time for America to win it back but Clarke picking his old mate Westwood was the real downfall for the team. I can't see why he would have taken him apart from the old pals act. I watched the whole thing but this year the behaviour of certain American 'fans' ruined it for me. The spirit of the game was lost in my opinion. I hope it can return as I ,usually, love Ryder cup.

The USA fans are always a noisy rabble. Even more so when the tournament is played in the states. Don't think it will ever change. It's a fact of life that our friends across the pond are much more boisterous and brash than us Brits and Europeans. It's a bit like the PDC darts. The fans are noisier and the players need to adapt and not let it get to them. Simple fact is the Yanks were better than the European team.

Willett certainly ruined the tournament for his brother but heckling opposition players whilst on the shot and abusing them between holes was just plain abhorrent. It was also apparent especially during the tee-off how little applause the Europeans received, all that demonstrated was little regard for the game and that yes, some of the Ryder Cup spirit was lost.

If crowd fails to be quiet on shot, the hole is forfeited..."get in the cake hole Lego man!!"

Not a golf fan but I did see some stuff the American fans did and it was embarrassing for the sport. But, as the US won I'm sure these fan's will take this as a sign that it helped and so will do it again and again. Time for the sports governing body to step in and nip this in the bud?

Nothing short of bully boy tactics in my book and all such things should be met with a short burst of .50 cal automatic fire when I'm king of the world.

Back
Top Bottom