Time for an upgrade

Hi all, recently joined the forum, been de shaving for a few years but until now I just stuck with my EJ DE89L, the head threads got worn and in fairness to EJ they are sending me out a new one so credit to them there.

Anyway while waiting for this new head to arrive I decided to start looking around at new razors( or new to me) . The list is pretty endless as to what is available. I'd like to get something else, the 89L has served me well and will keep it. The blades I like to use are Astra's, Polsilver's, personna. I did like the 7 o clock but just haven't used them in a while. I have a few different soaps and creams that I like .

Generally I shave fine, but I find I do get red marks and bumps sometimes so using too much pressure or possibly too many passes leaves me a bit raw. I know the 89L is a mild razor so maybe need a step in razor? This would mainly occur if I have 2/3 days growth.

I know every opinion is different, what works for one doesn't work for others.
I'm open to any suggestions vintage/ new , OC , adjustable, slant. Thanks for reading

Ideally I'd like to keep it around 50 euro give or take.

Well, I was going to recommend the Rockwell 6S which comes with three plates, six settings , so you can find the plate you like and stick with it. I use mine on 6 the most aggressive (efficient).
Since your budget is around 50 euros, I would say get any razor head that takes your fancy from Maggards. I use their AV3 and slant and I get outstanding results every time.

You can buy a Merkur Progress 500 as adjustable razor.

images

Last edited:
Yeah that was one that caught my eye, the Rockwell does look like a nice bit of equipment but a nice bit over my budget. How does the Merkur Progress compare to a Gillette adjustable?

I'm among the few that don't like the progress, regardless of blade or setting. YMMV of-course and you could find it outstanding.
The FatBoy I have is for me infinitely superior and very smooth. I use it on 8 with a feather or polsilver and it almost compares with the R6. Be mindful though that any fatboy you might care to get, is properly adjusted. The reason I'm cautioning you is that I have two. The one is infinitely a better shaver than the other.

I've been using a DE89 in rotation with a Merkur Futur for a couple of months.
I got a Merkur 37c last week, and it's become my favourite razor after just two shaves.
It shaves much closer than the DE89 so less passes needed for a good shave.it's also less aggressive than the Futur.
Like you, I suffer irritation and rash, and the 37c has helped to reduce this a bit so far.
The Futur is a great adjustable razor, but is a big step up from the DE89

I have the futur as well and I have difficulty finding an agreeable setting. It's either too mild or too aggressive. The other problem is that it's difficult to manouver around the nose area.
I'm probably a little bit prejudiced with the Merkur brand as I had 3 so far, the 34C, futur and progress and none have provided a good shave.

I have the Gillette Fat Boy and the Progress and I like the Progress more. Thing is a vintage Fad Boy in very good or NOS condition will cost you around 100 - 180 Euro (razor, postage and tax if you buy it from the States) these days. The Progress is a bit more aggressive as the Fad Boy, but as with every new razor you have to use it several times, get used to it and find the setting which suits best to your skin. You can get an used Progress 500 for around 30 - 40 Euro. New one will cost you around 54 Euro. ;)

Appreciate all feedback good and bad, and I know everyone's experience will differ. Might order a futur clone to try out they are cheap anyway. The Fatip also seems like an inexpensive razor that gives decent results.
For me, the Futur is a more aggressive razor, in all settings, than the Progress. I would not recommend that razor to anyone who is in the beginning phase of DE shaving. :confused:

For me, the Futur is a more aggressive razor, in all settings, than the Progress. I would not recommend that razor to anyone who is in the beginning phase of DE shaving. :confused:

If I go for the clone I'll just stick with a personna blade and no pressure, if it's not for me, is not huge money spent, anyone I've got into DE shaving I've always recommend a mild razor like the DE89 until they get the itch to try something else

For 50 euros you can just about buy a fatboy in reasonable condition. That's about what I have paid for mine a few years back. Maybe now prices have gone up, but either with a progress or a fatboy you will be set for a long time to come.
I am with you and bought my two Fat Boys also four years back. Payed 50 Euro for one in good (sold in the meantime) and 100 Euro for one with box and blades in real NOS condition. But today I am shocked when I have a look on US ebay and see Fat Boys in same or less condition up to 200 USD. :eek:

Just had a quick look think I'd be doing extremely well to get a fat boy for 50 quid in good condition, about 80 quid plus delivery (import duty also) seems to be the going rate for a good/v good, others are like you say going for nearly 200

Just had a quick look think I'd be doing extremely well to get a fat boy for 50 quid in good condition, about 80 quid plus delivery (import duty also) seems to be the going rate for a good/v good, others are like you say going for nearly 200
Just some tips buying a Fat Boy.
Before buying and because of the Fat Boys mechanics are sensitive if you change settings while razors head is closed (please do that only with razors head open, otherwise spring can break), ask the vendor if there is an audible click to hear when changing on every setting. Than you will be sure that the spring is not destroyed. Also ask if the blade gap is equal on both sides on all nine settings.
:)

Back
Top Bottom