To Soak Or Not To Soak

Usually when I'm second to the bathroom, I use a shave gel (which does the job well enough I think) as my brush is a boar brush, which I've always been told to soak for a couple of minuets before using. However, today I thought I'd have a go and see if I can tell the difference. So I got the dry brush, and lathered up my Paraso and slapped in on.

And...

It was fine. There were no issues that I could tell. In fact, I don't think I could detect any differnces between it this morning and how it is after a good five mins soaking.

Is the soaking thing a lie? Or just for when the bush is new? Or am I just too insensitive to notice the subtle differences?

If I run my trusty Omega 49 under a bit of water it performs exactly the same as soaking it.

Using it dry eats my lather, so I don't.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk
I did forget to mention that bit! I did dunk the brush in some water, so was wet, but hadn't been soaked.

It's possible that the brush would be softer to use, but I didn't notice it. Maybe it's just that it's a cheap Omega boar brush. If you have an expensive one, the difference might be more obvious.

If a boar brush is well used/broke in, it won't make much difference either you soak it in warm water for 10 minutes or hold it under the running warm water about 30 seconds, there maybe a marginal difference. However if its new and pre-break in period that will be different.
With badger brushes I would say they won't need soaking, a quick run under the tap should enough

Does anyone know why we soak the boars and badgers and not the synthetics?
Personally I soak my synths 90% of the time as the heat softens the fibres slightly, reducing some of the 'spring' :)

I never use my natural hair brushes (boar and badger) dry or even just 'wetted'. I always soak, as it reduces the risk of the hairs breaking, and stops them soaking up the lather due to the bristles already being saturated.

So the reason to soak a boar brush is mainly during breaking in of the brush. But does stop the bristles soaking up the lather as well.

Must admit, I still can't really tell the difference, now that it's broken in. I think a good strong bristle is good for exfoliating and all that.

Back
Top Bottom