Top 10 Albums of 2017

OK - there must be some members as passionate about music as myself (You know who you are @Blackmass :D).

Here are my favourite 10 albums released in 2017 (and I'd love you see your top 10's):

Science Fiction by Brand New
Sleep Well Beast by The National
Every Valley by Public Service Broadcasting
A Black Mile To The Surface by Manchester Orchestra
A Crow Looked At Me by Mount Eerie
Turn Out The Lights by Julien Baker
A Deeper Understanding by The War on Drugs
I See You by The xx
Every Country's Sun by Mogwai
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty

I'm with you on the Julien Baker

My list probably also includes:

Lusine - Sensorimotor
Clark - Death Peak
Talik - Slow Motion Breath Forward
Com Truise - Iteration
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Goldfrapp - Silver Eye
Photay - Onism
Wailin Jennys - Fifteen
Lali Puna - Two Windows

Notable mention to Ed Sheeran, who I think is pretty talented even if he's a bit "everywhere"

OK - there must be some members as passionate about music as myself (You know who you are @Blackmass :D).

Here are my favourite 10 albums released in 2017 (and I'd love you see your top 10's):

Science Fiction by Brand New
Sleep Well Beast by The National
Every Valley by Public Service Broadcasting
A Black Mile To The Surface by Manchester Orchestra
A Crow Looked At Me by Mount Eerie
Turn Out The Lights by Julien Baker
A Deeper Understanding by The War on Drugs
I See You by The xx
Every Country's Sun by Mogwai
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty

Sorry, would struggle to commit to 10, but Every Valley by PSB. What an album!!! That reminds me, need to order some tickets for Sheffield.

I'm useless at ordering records, or even narrowing lists down to 10, but here are some albums I enjoyed in 2017. The older I get the more I notice I'm buying stuff by artists I've been into for years so don't expect to see a huge amount of newer artists here!

Laura Marling - Semper Femina
Thurston Moore - Rock N Roll Consciousness
Slowdive - Slowdive
Guided By Voices - August By Cake & How Do You Spell Heaven
Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Ride - Weather Diaries
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun (one of my fave bands, great live too)
Lee Ranaldo - Electric Trim
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
Weezer - Pacific Daydream
Amplifier - Trippin' With Dr Faustus
The National - Sleep Well Beast

Also enjoyed the Beach House 'B-sides & Rarities' collection and the reissues of Radiohead's OK Computer and Elliott Smith's Either/Or albums. Its a shame that so much Elliott Smith stuff remains officially unreleased. For instance he recorded a lot of stuff that didn't make Figure 8 or the posthumous From A Basement On The Hill which would have sounded great on those albums. To be fair, putting together a tracklist for a posthumous record can't be easy.

I would struggle to list 5 good albums from last year.

The only albums I bought (which were released last year) and rated are The XX ‘I See You', Grizzly Bear ‘Painted Ruins' and Fleet Foxes ‘Crack-up'.

I'm hoping 2018 is a better year. Johnny Marr will be releasing a new album in the Spring so we are off to a flyer. I've not heard anything but it would be great if Massive Attack release a full length album sometime this year.

Good idea with this list, some to my taste in your top 10 as well!

‚New‘ best of tears for fears album... with one new song (disappointing!).

It cannot be 1982 every year.... but indeed, I also struggle to find something.

2017, ok. Wasn‘t there a new steven wilson album ‚to the bone‘? Yes, sounds the same as the 2 before, but still good!

And: Wild Beasts - boy king (although it says released 2016 - but really got off in 17).

And I discovered Ballet School... ok their album was relased 2014...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Good idea with this list, some to my taste in your top 10 as well!

‚New‘ best of tears for fears album... with one new song (disappointing!).

It cannot be 1982 every year.... but indeed, I also struggle to find something.

2017, ok. Wasn‘t there a new steven wilson album ‚to the bone‘? Yes, sounds the same as the 2 before, but still good!

And: Wild Beasts - boy king (although it says released 2016 - but really got off in 17).

And I discovered Ballet School... ok their album was relased 2014...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Right on, @Betriebsarzt13! Love Wild Beasts. I have the new Steven Wilson also - pretty good, but not to the same lofty heights (IMO) as the seminal "Hand.Cannot.Erase." album from 2015. Will check out Ballet School on your recommendation.

I don't think it was the most amazing year for music, but I'm gonna go with (in no order)

1. Girlpool - Powerplant
2. The XX - I see you
3. Mount Kimbie - Lovev what survives
4. Lana Del Ray - Lust for life
5. Thundercat - Drunk
6. Julien Baker - Turn out the lights
7. LCD Soundsystem - American dream
8. Tyler, The Creator - Flower boy
9. SZA - Ctrl
10. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN

Right on, @Betriebsarzt13! I have the new Steven Wilson also - pretty good, but not to the same lofty heights (IMO) as the seminal "Hand.Cannot.Erase." album from 2015. Will check out Ballet School on your recommendation.
So how do you like Ballet School?
Steven Wilson is on Tour and I will check out how the performance is. Last Time I saw him with Procupine Tree in the 'Dead Wing' Tour... a decade+ ago...

Cool. Would love to see SW live. I'm off to see Roger Waters on Tuesday evening - should be good.
I've just heard the one song from Ballet School - "Crush", which I thought was pretty good. Any recommendations on songs/albums by them?

Back
Top Bottom