UK Customs Charges

I know, it is a bit of a PITA. And it isn't the Customs / VAT bit that hurts, it's the £8.00 Royal Mail helped themselves to for their "service".

Just got 2 bottles of Thayers, and a small 3oz bottle for travel, charge of £11.01, only £3.01 for the VAT part.

John

Ouch! Where did you order from?
Sorry, should have said in my post, Lucky Vitamin.
I'm a little surprised to see a "5 off 25 Promo Card" listed as a value of USD1.00 on the CN22

Other items were $3.21, $8.41 & $8.80 for a total on the declaration of USD$21.42

I then got hit with £3.01 for Customs, and £8.00 from Royal Mail

Cheers, John

Nope, cos tea is only fit for the dustbin anyways, with the rest of the floor sweepings.

:)

It will make me think long and hard about getting items from outside the EU for a while, and after a mad initial buying spree, I seem to be settling down, and gravitating to modestly priced stuff that gives a fantastic shave.

Cheers, John

New deal over here in Sweden from March 1 for every parcel arriving from outside the EU there will be a fee plus VAT. Same, same but different. The rule has not really changed but now they are supposed to enforce it according to an impressive media campaign in January and February but I am not sure they have the manpower to walk the talk in March.

Sorry, should have said in my post, Lucky Vitamin.
I'm a little surprised to see a "5 off 25 Promo Card" listed as a value of USD1.00 on the CN22

Other items were $3.21, $8.41 & $8.80 for a total on the declaration of USD$21.42

I then got hit with £3.01 for Customs, and £8.00 from Royal Mail

Cheers, John

Blimey, I ordered 2 bottles of Thayers from them and had no issues at all but your experience has put me off at bit!

Blimey, I ordered 2 bottles of Thayers from them and had no issues at all but your experience has put me off at bit!
I might have just tipped it over the edge with the additional 3oz bottle, or it might just be the current exchange rate.

Won't be ordering anymore for a while anyways. And I still think it worked out cheaper than getting it in the UK

Cheers, John

I've shared your pain Sir and I no longer buy from the U.S directly. It just doesn't make financial sense if you get caught by HMRC. I recently bought an ATT Copper razor but with the generous discount offered to forum members from Shaving Station and the loyalty points too it worked out cheaper than buying direct from the U.S. It pays to shop around you can get some good prices from the U.K vendors.

In a short space of time I have put quite a few orders through several of the UK based vendors. I just had difficulty finding Thayers, and I particularly wanted the medicated and the unscented versions.

I accepted that I might get hit, so had factored that in.

Ok for a one-off, for something in particular.

Cheers, John

Ready to throw the tea in the harbor yet? :D :p ;)
history-historian-american_history-sons_of_liberty-boston_tea_party-british_empire-cgon1059_low.jpg

Back
Top Bottom