This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK meteorology

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chrisbell, Saturday November 19, 2016.

1. chrisbell

chrisbell

As a weather enthusiast, might I warn members in Kent, East & West Sussex, Hampshire & the IoW, Surrey, London and Essex (particularly those near the south coast) that the first named storm of the year is only 2-3 hours away to your west, and intensifying rapidly. Met Office have weather warnings here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1479513600, which should be heeded. Gusts potentially on the south coast of 80+ mph, 60-70 inland, and 50-60 north and west of London until at least 9 a.m. tomorrow (20th).

Heavy rain is also a concern.

Last edited: Saturday November 19, 2016
    george and MarkB like this.
  2. MarkB

MarkB

Good luck and be safe to all down there.

george, Blademonkey and chrisbell like this.
  3. chrisbell

chrisbell

I think that, if people are sensible in not going out overnight or tomorrow morning either driving on on foot in areas with mature trees, they should be fine. Having said that, flimsy structures and roofs may be at risk of damage.

4. chrisbell

chrisbell

Latest rain radar courtesy of NetWeather:

[​IMG]

5. Be safe, and keep it there! ;)

Edit: seems the storms are going to hit our coast tomorrow.

6. SeanC

SeanC

I've just seen that early morning trains to the South of London are likely to be cancelled so lines can be checked for obstructions.

7. chrisbell

chrisbell

From NetWeather member:

This means that there is the potential for squalls with high rainfall and very strong wind gusts in the south east between 3 and 6 a.m.

8. chrisbell

chrisbell

Indeed, travel tomorrow in the SE may well be affected, both road and rail.

9. chrisbell

chrisbell

Final post for tonight - gusts already in Kent of 55-60 mph; these are only going to increase over the next few hours.

10. Louis

Louis

Very heavy rainfall in Taunton right now (1143 19/11).

11. Wind is picking up in earnest now here (30 miles from the coast).

12. chrisbell

chrisbell

As it turned-out, the forecast track of the "eye" was slightly out, even at a few hours' range. It was forecast to pass over my area and exit the UK somewhere between the Wash and the Orwell estuary, but it actually grazed the south coast and exited via the Medway towns.

Northern France saw bad weather - NW Brittany had gusts of 100 mph!

13. Anubis

Anubis

It was very wild here last night - I live on Hayling Island. All looks ok this morning, though I hear a few unsecured trampolines have changed location!

14. chrisbell

chrisbell

Bumping this and re-naming to enquire as to whether there's any interest from UK-based members for me to pass on weather warnings and other important meteorological information? Global weather is beyond me, but I could cover the UK, and possibly attempt to answer meteorological questions if desired.

Last edited: Tuesday November 22, 2016
  15. JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Don't have any specific enquiries Chris, however I did check this thread prior to Angus and I'm always up for flood or storm warnings heading towards West Scotland. I'd guess this type of thread may attract more people like me who check it rather than have anything useful to contribute.

JohnnyO. o/

16. chrisbell

chrisbell

Thanks Johnny. I wouldn't expect much in the way of contribution. Though I'm far from being an expert - over on the meteorology forum I frequent I'm considered a bit of an ignoramus - I anticipate that I might be able to use what little I understand on the subject to assist TSR members. My thought was mainly that I could disseminate warnings and attempt to answer (simple) questions.

JohnnyO likes this.
  17. Always interested in anything nasty about to hit Cornwall, had some blowy weather last couple of days with rain, always worried about high seas and heavy rain. Thank you Chris, Paul.

chrisbell likes this.
  18. chrisbell

chrisbell

Thanks Blade. How was last night for you as opposed to Sunday night? On the weather forum I frequent, there was much discussion of why Sunday night's low pressure was a named storm, while last night's wasn't. It's a joint Met Office/Irish Met decision AFAIK, though each uses different criteria when the storm affects only them rather than both.

19. The wind has dropped but near constant rain, was really gusty Sunday night ,thought my garden fence was going over! :)

chrisbell likes this.
  20. chrisbell

chrisbell

Sounds as though there is some interest. For now, I'll continue occasional posts in this thread.