Ultrasonic Cleaning of Brushes?

Has anyone tried putting just the knot portion up to just before the handle starts and running it through an ultrasonic cleaning cycle? If so, what were the results?

Micheal

Hmmm ... I plan on cleaning some clock works today so may take that opportunity to also clean a sacrificial brush. Will let you know what happens.

Micheal
I need to get one to clean out lab equipment more thoroughly to be honest! :p I just need to pull my finger out and pull the trigger! :D Thanks for the advice. :)

Some ultrasonic cleaners will heat up the water for you. Seems like a waste of money as you can just put a hot water solution in and that's that. I'm quite happy with my ultrasonic device but feel that I wasted a bit of money getting one with the heater. One lives and learns.

micheal

Some ultrasonic cleaners will heat up the water for you. Seems like a waste of money as you can just put a hot water solution in and that's that. I'm quite happy with my ultrasonic device but feel that I wasted a bit of money getting one with the heater. One lives and learns.

micheal
I guess the benefit with a heater is you can leave it at a desired temperature for minutes/hours etc. and not have to worry about topping it up with hot water here and there. Plus, if you're using a degreasing agent, you can heat that without worrying about heating prior to use. Heated ultrasonic cleaners were particularly handy for me in the lab trying to get hard-to-dissolve chemicals into solvent. I doubt I'd need one now but every little helps I guess! It'd broil down to price for me anyway!

Why do you want to?

Curiosity mainly. Also, it is possibly another way of cleaning brushes so want to see if it is any better than the 'normal' cleaning methods. About an hour ago I did try it on a 5 minute cycle on a Semogue bristle and a Grosvenor boar/badger mix and first priority, it doesn't appear to have done any harm and secondly seems to have cleaned them fairly well. Brushes are drying now so will see what they are like later on when fully dry. Would have liked to try it on a brush that really needed a good clean but didn't have any available.

Micheal

Why do you want to?

Curiosity mainly. Also, it is possibly another way of cleaning brushes so want to see if it is any better than the 'normal' cleaning methods. About an hour ago I did try it on a 5 minute cycle on a Semogue bristle and a Grosvenor boar/badger mix and first priority, it doesn't appear to have done any harm and secondly seems to have cleaned them fairly well. Brushes are drying now so will see what they are like later on when fully dry. Would have liked to try it on a brush that really needed a good clean but didn't have any available.

Micheal

I use one for my razors but why do your brushes need a good clean..?
Rinse them thoughly after use and dry properly, done.
I buy second hand brushes and even those I only hand lather a couple times before use

Reactions: TeP
Just been thinking about this. An ultrasonic works by 'cavitation' - creating microbubbles which in 'bursting' create shock waves which knock dirt off the target.

Two things strike me. I'm not sure that cavitation is possible on a soft surface and secondly (worse), if it is, the fibres might, and probably would, be torn by the shock waves, making them rough and weak.

This would repay experiment but I suggest an old brush first.

Did a little internet researching and found an item http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/ultrasonic_damage.htm that talked about possibly damaging polished aluminum/aluminium objects. Have not found anything yet on affect of cavitation on natural fibres. I probably would not try cleaning a £100 brush or cleaning even cheap brushes very often with ultrasound but I am curious by nature so gave it a try on possibly a one-time shot.

Micheal

The sonic waves may crack and break the epoxy holding in the knot IMO. Bad ju ju.

Interesting point. Think it was generally agreed that immersing the knot was a bad idea exactly for the reason you stated. Even if the knot is not immersed I wonder if the sound waves still have a detrimental affect on the knot? Think that short term, e.g. 2 or 3 cleanings, you'd probably get away with it but longer term/more treatments might be iffy. Perhaps someone with more curiosity and a more scientific mind could experiment and get back to use in a few months time ;)

Micheal

I'm old school, Warm water, washing up liquid, mild solution of warm water& white vinegar old tooth brush to clean the brushes ,warm water rinse, then a Baby shampoo wash , rinsed gently rub the the tips of the knots, shake, then put next to the window to dry out..I have to agree with @Bogeyman on his theory on the sonic waves may loosen the Epoxy resin or even damage the the knot..i personally wouldn't chance it..'better to be safe, than sorry'.

Back
Top Bottom