Unearthed a Rolls razor from my cupboard!

I found an old Rolls razor from the bedroom cupboard earlier, it belonged to either my grandfather (most probable), my dad or stepfather Doug? It is in an aluminium case, no cardboard box unfortunately but the leather strop and 'oilstone' are still intact in the case. It seems very sharp, I guess it could give a good shave but as a novice, maybe not for me to try just yet? Anybody know much about them here?

Yeah..That's Looking Well Usable..The Grey Hone Pad will Benefit from a Quick Lapping or Sanding with Say 320 Grit Wet n Dry...The Leather Pad will Benefit from a Softening with Leather Oil or Equivalent..Add the Oil Slow..A Bit at a Time & Allow to Soak & Dry & Repeat as Required..If You Want the Blade Honed for a Reasonable Fee..PM Me..:)

Billy
OK will do..:) I should be able to tackle the hone pad at work (engineer by profession) and maybe oil the leather if I can source a suitable oil. Will PM you about honing the blade externally for me, regards ;)

Well, the blade has been sent to the Republic of Scotland and I've done a bit of "TLC" on the hone and stropping leather.....I have had a go at sanding the hone, firstly with P180 and then P320 wet 'n dry, it is resilient, a bit like sanding silicon carbide or aluminium oxide. Is olive oil suitable for oiling the strop? I no longer have neatsfoot oil and the deer in Wollaton Park are too 'flight of foot' for me to catch! Looking forward to giving this razor a go at some point

Bazza

Well, the blade has been sent to the Republic of Scotland and I've done a bit of "TLC" on the hone and stropping leather.....I have had a go at sanding the hone, firstly with P180 and then P320 wet 'n dry, it is resilient, a bit like sanding silicon carbide or aluminium oxide. Is olive oil suitable for oiling the strop? I no longer have neatsfoot oil and the deer in Wollaton Park are too 'flight of foot' for me to catch! Looking forward to giving this razor a go at some point

Bazza
The Hone Can be Used Dry to be Honest after its Been Lapped or Smoothed Out..Any Oil will Do..The Thinnest Smear..:)

Billy

I found an old Rolls razor from the bedroom cupboard earlier, it belonged to either my grandfather (most probable), my dad or stepfather Doug? It is in an aluminium case, no cardboard box unfortunately but the leather strop and 'oilstone' are still intact in the case. It seems very sharp, I guess it could give a good shave but as a novice, maybe not for me to try just yet? Anybody know much about them here?

You must have been chuffed to find the razor, and especially one thats been in the family. Congrats:)

You must have been chuffed to find the razor, and especially one thats been in the family. Congrats:)
It was odd, I was looking through the cupboard as I have an old shoe box with some tools in it, until very recently I had no real idea what it was! I had seen Rolls razors mentioned on this forum when browsing and Googled them, the search brought me back to this site and fergiebilly, I suspected he might be interested and able to advise and, hey presto :)

The Rolls is a Fantastic Shaver..If I had a Dollar for Every Time I Had a Enquiry about Honing these Blades I Would be Worth a Fortune..Problem is the Moment I Say I Am Charging a Very Reasonable Fee I Get the Preverbal..Oh..Yeah..Right Mate..I Will Get Back to You Shortly..Of Course 9/10 they are Looking for a Freebie..;)

Billy

The Rolls is a Fantastic Shaver..If I had a Dollar for Every Time I Had a Enquiry about Honing these Blades I Would be Worth a Fortune..Problem is the Moment I Say I Am Charging a Very Reasonable Fee I Get the Preverbal..Oh..Yeah..Right Mate..I Will Get Back to You Shortly..Of Course 9/10 they are Looking for a Freebie..;)

Billy
I'm after a razor that is useable, belonged to a relative, is a keeper and I am glad you are able to help me with it, Billy :)

Billy

Nae chance of a tap then Billy :D

It was odd, I was looking through the cupboard as I have an old shoe box with some tools in it, until very recently I had no real idea what it was! I had seen Rolls razors mentioned on this forum when browsing and Googled them, the search brought me back to this site and fergiebilly, I suspected he might be interested and able to advise and, hey presto :)

Nice one, good luck with it !

Back
Top Bottom