Used lapping film for 1st time

I found it really easy. I have a piece of float glass cut to the same size of my Naniwa 12K stone that fits perfectly in my stone holder and more importantly is flat. I haven't shaved with it yet. I'm going to shave in ten minutes. I'll post my findings shortly.

I found it really easy. I have a piece of float glass cut to the same size of my Naniwa 12K stone that fits perfectly in my stone holder and more importantly is flat. I haven't shaved with it yet. I'm going to shave in ten minutes. I'll post my findings shortly.

Nice one, cheers Wayne. I've got a flat (BIG) piece of granite that I use to lap my combi stone. I want to properly hone my kitchen knives and have something to refresh my already professionally honed SRs and Wedge blades, so lapping film could very well be the answer. Watching with interest :D

1 Micron Film is a Fantastic Finisher..Its a Modern State of the Art Synthetic Hone..I Would Recommend around 50 Sets for a Refresh..Its Very Impressive & Delivers a Sharp Smooth & Refined Edge..1 Micron Film is Like Any Other Hone..You Need to Get to Know it Well..o_O

Some SRs Can Take a Very Sharp Edge on Film with Up to 100 Sets & Still be Smooth..On Other Softer Blades like Sheffield Steel I Will Do around 50 Sets..Different Strokes for Different Steel..But..In General Harder Steel SRs Can Stay Very Smooth with Around a 100 Set Maxed Out Sharp Edge..:)

Also on Glass..Its Probably the Flattest & Most Even Hone on the Planet..Its Fun to Play Around with it..Its a Very Consistent Hone without Guess Work Once You Know You're Steel..:D

Billy

Oh Yeah.Just Feel the Difference with Say 30 Sets on 1 Micron Film Coming Off a Naniwa 12 K Super Stone..Its Night & Day..On that Note..Its Good to Feel the Edge with the Thumb After Every 20/30 Sets or So..That Way You Can Monitor the Sharpness..With Sheffield Steel for Example its Easy to Take them Towards Shavette Sharpness Levels..Too Much Gun So to Speak..:)

So the Learning Curve with 1 Micron Film is Not to Over Sharpen them & Find a Balance between Smooth & Sharp..A Very Sharp Edge on Softer Steel SRs can be Very Unforgiving..Razors Like Hard French or Japanese Steel for Example Excel on 1 Micron Film Maxed Out to 100 Sets or So & Keep a Smooth as Butter Shaving Edge..:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom