Used my EJ DE with a Kai blade today - question about the Kai

The EJ is a great razor but for no good reason, I don't pick it up as often as I once did. I'd recently bought 100 Kai blades to try after reading mostly positive reviews. I've only used one in a Ball End Tech which was OK. Today, I popped one in the EJ and lathered up with TOBS Lavender. A really good shave (BBS) but I understand the Kai blades are just a bit wider than most standard blades. I got a bit careless and caught a nick on my chin. I can't recall doing that with this razor in the past using my usual blades (Feathers, GSB, Astra, Personna Labs, Derbys, Super Iridiums, or German Wilkinsons).

Are the Kais actually wider thus giving a razor a bit more blade exposure?

The EJ is a great razor but for no good reason, I don't pick it up as often as I once did. I'd recently bought 100 Kai blades to try after reading mostly positive reviews. I've only used one in a Ball End Tech which was OK. Today, I popped one in the EJ and lathered up with TOBS Lavender. A really good shave (BBS) but I understand the Kai blades are just a bit wider than most standard blades. I got a bit careless and caught a nick on my chin. I can't recall doing that with this razor in the past using my usual blades (Feathers, GSB, Astra, Personna Labs, Derbys, Super Iridiums, or German Wilkinsons).

Yes they are outliers in that respect.

7a78fe9c9ee79714294434b2f22aab65.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's very interesting, I thought all DE blades were of a standard width. I don't know but am very interested to know now you have asked the question. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that but there's still WRT, M, WR, and TR.

It is interesting that it's notably wider and longer than the other blades in the chart and it's the width that makes the difference. Regardless of the razor's gap, the extra width should make any razor a bit more aggressive, should it not?

Thanks for that but there's still WRT, M, WR, and TR.

It is interesting that it's notably wider and longer than the other blades in the chart and it's the width that makes the difference. Regardless of the razor's gap, the extra width should make any razor a bit more aggressive, should it not?
I don't want to be sent to a labor camp for linking to another forum, maybe if you googled "Double-Edge (DE) Razor Blade Dimensions Table" all would be cleared up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ah. That's the forum that banned my IP for reasons unknown or unexplained. I can't even see the site now. Very weird people over there.

I recently opened a Kai DE blade and my first thought was 'is it just me or does it look bigger?' (about the blade, of course... :rolleyes: ). I decided perhaps not and put it down to the lack of writing on the blade and suchlike. In hindsight it's funny how you can spot a minute difference such as that. I do like the fact it's not waxed to the paper as well...

Back
Top Bottom