vegan, tallow, does it really matter?

From reading, from listening, and from the general confusion.....

tallow now means two things. fat rendered from dead critters. and a generic chemical composition of fats and oils that breaks down a specific way, just like real tallow from a carcass, but not necessarily BEING from an animal carcass.

SO although soaps with tallowate in the ingredient lists leave my face smoother, softer, moisturized, and feeling better and less irritated then those that lack it, does it really matter to have wars fought over tallow versus non tallow soaps ?

It really doesn't matter IMHO. A tallow soap can be better than a vegan, but easily also the other way around.

For instance, Wickhams 1912 line-up is better than many tallow offerings.

Tallow or non-tallow is not the factor that decides if a product is good or not. So many other variables are in play, that you simply cannot say that one is definitive better than the other.

From reading, from listening, and from the general confusion.....

tallow now means two things. fat rendered from dead critters. and a generic chemical composition of fats and oils that breaks down a specific way, just like real tallow from a carcass, but not necessarily BEING from an animal carcass.

SO although soaps with tallowate in the ingredient lists leave my face smoother, softer, moisturized, and feeling better and less irritated then those that lack it, does it really matter to have wars fought over tallow versus non tallow soaps ?
Did I miss something? When did these wars take place?
People will always have a preference because they have a choice, it is only right that we have a choice so it can only be right to have a preference, we should be able to make that choice without objection from anybody.
some people will use both but still prefer one over the other while some people will only use one, both of those choices are good because we have the freedom to make those choices and long my it remain that way.
Tallow, non tallow, that is the question. The answer is whatever you want my friend it's your choice.

Just as F/Billy said, far as I can see, the general consensus seems to be that what is good for you is what is best for you. Some people, for their ethical beliefs, choose to abstain from animal products and it's nice that they can have a range of non animal fat soaps which perform great. Myself, I use what I like which doen't provoke my skin. It's all good.

JohnnyO. o/

Yes and no, I've used all bar glycerin I think and some are thirstier than others but the end result is always as good? If your morales and beliefs tie you to a certain soap range then it's not all bad?

In the past some Stirling have smelt a little when new, whether this was part of the tallow causing the initial smell or not? Who knows?

There Has Been a Lot of Wars on Forums about Tallow Soaps & Vegan Soaps..More So in the USA..It has been Asserted for Many Years that a High Quality Tallow Soap is Hard to Beat..So Much So that Loads of USA so Called Artisan Soap Makers have Jumped on the Tallow Bandwagon..o_O

The one thing that Traditional Tallow Soaps have Often Lacked is Fancy Scents..The USA Soap Makers Know this & Attempted to Reinvent the Wheel with Highly Scented so Called Tallow Soaps..The Problem is that Most of them are Pseudo Tallow Soaps..They are Vegan Soaps with Added Tallow Oil what ever the Hell that is..Stirling Soaps are One of them..:eek:

They are not Tallow Based Soaps..They are Vegan Soaps with an Addition of Tallow Oil & most of them are Total Crap..Most of the Worlds Best Traditional Tallow Soaps all Come from Southern Europe..Most Come from Italy..:D

Billy

Last edited:
its supposed to be a slippery slop. how else do you get the blade to glide?

there are a lot of bad soaps made, with or without tallow in them, that I wouldn't feel good about myself if I gave to a dirty hobo to wash their feet with.
But there are enough GOOD soaps made, with or without tallow in them, that should put the rest in the trash can of history outright. But at the same time there are people who will pay through the nose for soaps made 60-70 years ago, that are better then everything made currently.

The sad part of it is that so many bickering wars are waged on shaveing forums just because the inclusion or exclusion of a single ingredient makes ANY soap the best or the worst , regardless of how it performs.

My opinion: A good soap is a good soap whether it is vegan or tallow. I wouldn't rule out a soap because it is vegan or tallow.
I don't think being tallow or vegan makes the soap good or bad / better or worse then the other because there are lots of examples of good tallow and good vegan soaps.
What makes a soap good? Quality of the lather: slickness, cushioning, Post shave feeling, Scent(optional/subjective), ease of making/producing the ideal lather.
These are the parameters defines a good soap in my opinion.

These are two well used soaps whose evolution dislikes to my nose and to my eye. One is a tallow version, another, don't. Both of them, on their half size, less than a year old the tallow one, unknown age another one, pass to trash this evening.
Shaving soap is a quite sensitive question. Tomorrow, some MWF or MdC, to clean my head...

41ebc8996f45b54128808e2896c6794f.jpg

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

While now a days I usually shave daily with I Straight Razor and all the ceremony that goes with it, there are days when I'm in a hurry that I just Dry Shave. I now usually use the Feather DE (Secret Santa Present) and a new DE blade. One or two WTG passes will result in a more than adequate shave. No water, soap, just the new DE and then Aftershave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Len
While now a days I usually shave daily with I Straight Razor and all the ceremony that goes with it, there are days when I'm in a hurry that I just Dry Shave. I now usually use the Feather DE (Secret Santa Present) and a new DE blade. One or two WTG passes will result in a more than adequate shave. No water, soap, just the new DE and then Aftershave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A dry shave and no irritation. You must have fair hair? That would be extremely painful for me. I'm jealous infact.

Just to add, it seems a new thing to be calling soap without tallow 'vegan'. Surely without having tallow doesn't automatically make it vegan, it could still be tested on animals etc. Is that why soaps can be called vegetal rather than vegan?

Back
Top Bottom