Vie Long and Epsilon Horse Hair brushes

I've had three horse hair brushes come my way recently, one via a BST elsewhere and two directly from Gifts and Care.

I've not used horse brushes before and thought I'd share my views on them after having used them a few times.

The Brushes

The brushes are (from L to R):

Vie Long 13071 Wooden handle with died knot (50% mane / 50% tail).
Vie Long 13065S-1 Butterscotch Edition Brown Horse with a Fan knot (35% mane / 65% tail).
Epsilon Butterscotch White Horse with a Fan knot (50% mane / 50% tail).

Specifications

The knot specifications are slightly different to those listed on the Gifts and Care website. The actual specifications of the brushes are:

13071 (died knot with wooden handle) - handle 50mm, knot 24 x 55mm.
13065S-1 Butterscotch Edition with Amphora-style handle - handle 54mm, knot 25 x 49mm.
Epsilon - handle 47mm, knot 29 x 50mm.

Knot Density

The density of the knots is interesting. As can be seen from the photo above the 13071 lacks density and the knot looks as if it has collapsed (from what I can gather this is normal behaviour for this style of knot). The two Butterscotch brushes, however, have more than sufficient levels of density.

Lather Shots

I thought that it would make sense to take some pictures of these brushes in action. I only ever bowl lather and thought that it would make sense to use a hard shaving soap that many people find difficult to lather (as this would provide a difficult test for the brushes), so I bloomed a puck of Musgo Real and used it with one of my Steve Woodhead scuttles.

The 13071 performed pretty well when it came to the task of lathering and easily produced a nice, useable lather.

The Epsilon performed excellently and whipped up more than enough lather with comparative ease.

The 13065S-1 Butterscotch Edition brush was simply amazing. It devoured the soap and produced much more lather than the other two brushes. It produced much more lather than I could realistically use. It was simply awesome. :)

Post-use Bloom

As you can see there is a small amount of noticeable bloom on each brush. There's nowhere near as much bloom as would be expected with a comparable badger brush.

Conclusion

What surprised me most about these brushes is how well they have performed whilst being used over the past few days. I was expecting, based upon what I have read, to find each brush to have some noticeable scritch which would slowly ease off over time.

The 13071 didn't disappoint in this respect - it feels very much like a pure badger knot and didn't impress me that much at all. I'm hoping that the tips will soften with use. It's a floppy brush and will work well in a bowl. I wouldn't want to even attempt to face lather with it though.

I am pretty sensitive to scritch and have found a couple of Vie Long Silvertips and a number of 2-band Badgers to be too scritchy for me in the past. I was, therefore, really surprised when I couldn't detect any scritch from either of the two Butterscotch brushes. If I were describing badger brushes I would be using phrases such as 'a wall of badger' to describe these brushes. I'm not sure what the appropriate phrase would be to describe a horse hair brush, but both brushes certainly have very soft tips straight out of the box.

Both the Butterscotch brushes have more than sufficient backbone and really have changed my thoughts about horse hair brushes. For me, the knot dimensions and hair type are spot-on and I would wholeheartedly recommend giving the Vie Long fan-shaped knots a try. Whilst they are relatively cheap brushes, they punch well above their weight and perform as well as, if not better than, many of much more expensive badger brushes I have in my collection.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great review. I have the 13052 which I like very much. Its only fault is that for me it's too small. I like BIG brushes :)

Beautiful brushes and shots - the white Epsilon in fan is my favourite horse hair brush!

I could be wrong, but it seems to me from the knot density picture, that the 13071 has some tangled hair/knots. Try shampooing with conditioner and then use a fine comb to get them out. You might loose some hair, but you will be surprised, how much better the brush will look/perform

Hi,

They are all beautiful brushes, but from my experience with horse brushes you should take in consideration that most of them are designed to be used with painting movements instead of circular ones, or you will have entangling hairs problems, specially with white /dyed hair ones.

Enjoy them anyway

Cheers

Great review Andy. My experiences have been that horse is scritchy and the knot tangles in the middle. Oh, and they stank to high heaven!

Any signs of donuting or tangling?

Great review Andy. My experiences have been that horse is scritchy and the knot tangles in the middle. Oh, and they stank to high heaven!

Any signs of donuting or tangling?

They've started to get past the funky smell state (thankfully). :)

The 13071 has doughnuted and following the advice of @alfredus above, I have just finished a mammoth combing session and have been able to rectify the tangling issue with the knot quite nicely. It lost a few hairs in the process, but the knot has regained it's shape and has softened up quite considerably in the process. :)

I've got the 3061M (35% mane hair; 65% tail hair) and it's one of my favourite brushes. Just right amount of backbone and really soft tips. There is a tiny bit of scritch when using circular motions on the face but it actually feels good.
Never had any tangling or problems and only a tiny bit of funk smell when I first used it. Great handle too.

Aquire141125_zps4cd9bf0d.jpg

They've started to get past the funky smell state (thankfully). :)

The 13071 has doughnuted and following the advice of @alfredus above, I have just finished a mammoth combing session and have been able to rectify the tangling issue with the knot quite nicely. It lost a few hairs in the process, but the knot has regained it's shape and has softened up quite considerably in the process. :)
Glad to hear it worked. Circular motions will work with the brushes, but you just have to be careful not to apply any pressure...that's why I prefer the Epsilon. Due to the density there is enough backbone for a great face feel without any pressure and the knot becomes so soft after ~10 uses - enjoy!

Greetings

I have a Vie Long 13061M brown horse hair brush and I do not like it very much, whilst the hair itself is very soft in the knot are lots of little pointed hairs that have prickly ends like tiny pins within the knot.

IMHO I do not think it is at all suitable for face lathering, it is strictly a painting brush, they are a brush that certainly will not stand any 'mashing' onto the face. When I first had the brush I did just that and it soon formed a doughnut in the middle, which as others have found transpired to be a mass of tangled hairs, I was able to tease out the tangle with a bodkin a couple of hairs at a time but like Mike I broke or pulled out a few hairs in the process.

I seem to remember that one of our Spanish members Sir Eider had the same problem and wrote to Vie Long who said they should not be used with any pressure just paint with them! As you will detect in my tone I am less than impressed with mine, perhaps the bigger denser knot in the Epsilon models cures this problem.

Regards
Dick.

I've got a couple of Vie Longs both brown haired, no idea which ones, they are my go to brushes and have been for a couple of years. Face lathering with circular motions mostly and some bowl work with no problems to mention.
Both were second hand and one was donutted though only mildy, it's now hardly noticeable at all.

I have a Vie-Long Cachurro. Stank like a glue factory first use so left it overnight in lather which sorted that. It's something like a 23mm knot with 60mm loft but much better backbone than I was expecting.
Definitely between boar and a floppy badger but really only for the bowl as opposed to the face. I like it, it's actually surprisingly soft and was from the start. I only use it for soft creams and it's right at home with them.
I've had no issues with tangling but I believe it probably would if mashed into the bowl, which I don't. I do give it a quick comb after drying.
I picked it up cheap at a local pharmacy for £12, after deliberating for weeks about getting it. I'd be very interested in trying the dense knots, as they're a good price.

I have a violent reaction to horse hair, I once stroked a horse whilst out walking with my daughter when she was very young. In a short space of time my hand nearly doubled in size, became hot and irritable and it took hours for it to return to normal.
God only knows what a horsehair brush would do to my face.
Perhaps I should invest in one just to rub my todger with!!!!!

I have the olive wood handled brush and echo the OP's findings regarding scritch levels. It's a fun little brush, however, I find that it just won't generate enough lather for a solid three pass shave. I'm more used to knots in the 28-30mm size and have always done a three pass shave with touchups in the morning. Mine has been put on travel and vacation duty for which I find it very suitable.

I gave up on horse after frustrations with the tangling. Advice from Vie-Long is to stir the brush around the soap, stir the lather up and paint onto the face. No use for a face latherer. Of late, I'm using one of their long handled American Style brushes, which seems to have just the right girth and loft to work as a good scrubber without tangling up. I rather like it - it's got more scritch than the equivalent boars that I have, both super soft.

I have 2 vie long horse brushes and 1 horse/badger mix. I am known to be rather heavy handed so I tend to bowl lather most of the time. Have to say that I havent had the tangling issues you guys have had. They do donut occasionally but usually when they need a clean. My magards synthetic on the other hand, looks like it would be at home in Greggs.

Jim

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom