Vintage Boots DE Blades - Made In England

I came across a couple of these still sealed in an eBay job lot and thought I would give them a try.

bd48923cb03507d3b86711f20552912e.jpg

5b4fec1116862eaa57338f98a2cdf65c.jpg

9f59a6e3dc0d4457e018c06da2d2d6ee.jpg

As you can see the markings indicate 'Made In England' and therefore the manufacturer is almost certainly going to be Wilkinson Sword in Cramlington, Northumberland. The only other UK manufacturer who produced own label blades was Personna, but their factory is situated in Glasgow. A little digging around on Money Saving Expert of all places confirmed matters:
26th Jan 05, 8:20 AM
I once worked for Wilkinson Sword at their Cramlington, Northumberland factory. They made Boots own brand razor blades, using thinner steel made in Sweden. Quality control was the same. This was ages ago, though.

They shave a little different to the mid to late production stainless steel Wilkinson blades which I am very familiar with. Definitely sharper and possibly a little less smooth, but only a little. They quite remind me of PSIs from current manufacture, but a smidgen better.

I've been using one of these blades in my Gillette Aristocrat #16 and #15 over the last six days and they have delivered some fine 2 pass DFSs. Only with the sixth use today did performance drop off a little, so the blade was finally consigned to the bin.

All in all a fine blade and well worth a try if you ever come across them. It's just a shame that today's own label blades are nowhere near this good

Back
Top Bottom