This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Gillette Blue Blade

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bogeyman, Wednesday April 19, 2017.

1. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

A few years back I purchased a blade lot that had two tucks of old carbon steel Gillette Blue Blades in it. Now mind you, these two tucks were made in 1971 and look like this:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/1971 (R4) Gillette Blue Blade.jpg

The date is important because by then Gillette was treating these with a silicon coating to my understanding, unlike the older "bare" carbon steel ones. The Super Gillette Blue carbon ones had a PTFE coating and were a step up.

Regardless, I used one of these a few years back and was highly impressed, but had forgotten about it until I noticed the tucks in my storage bin. I grabbed a couple blades and used one today in a Canadian pre-war Tech razor. The blade was in mint condition with no sign of rust. Nevertheless, I soaked it in 70% rubbing alcohol for 20 mins. while mounted in the razor. I used Phoenix & Beau Solaris soap and the resultant shave was beyond outstanding.

This is sort of a "best of both" worlds blade in that it was Gillette's sharpest blade (so said their head of R&D at the time) using a modern (for that era) coating. Carbon steel takes an edge far easier than stainless and some say even today it can be sharpened to a finer edge. Metallurgy aside, the shave is simply marvelous and has a tad different feel. Since these are long discontinued and finite I will answer any question as to their shave longevity with this:

[​IMG]

thegallus1, Louis and Blademonkey like this.
  2. Thanks for the great info Bogeyman. Recently I've tried three vintage blades:

1961 Gillette Blue - sharp but didn't feel smooth due to lack of coating I suppose
    1976 Gillette Super Blue - I enjoyed using this blade, sharp and coated so smooth, felt pretty modern
    1996 Gillette Super Silver - great blade IMO

All were bought on the bay. The 60's Blue are going to be part of my collection and won't be used, I just wanted to try a blade. I am keeping an eye open to acquire more of the Super Blue and Super Silver.

Bogeyman likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy

Hi there,

Gillette was still dating blades even when US made razors weren't. There's a couple of 'year made' charts and the first/earlier version lists 1946 as the year.

Hope that info helps.

Bogeyman likes this.
  4. nolisco

nolisco

Inspired by this thread to use a Blue blade (E2, 1959) I found tucked away in my stash. The edge was rust free and I gave it a soak before use. Pleasantly surprised, I was expecting it not to be as smooth as it was. It wasn't a Polsilver SI, but it wasn't a Derby either. Gave a good, clean shave.

Sated my curiosity, I don't think I would go out of my way in search of more but like with a vitntage razor its nice to have and finally try one.

thegallus1 and Blademonkey like this.
  5. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

What I had read was wrong. Here is the correct answer:

https://www.industrydocumentslibrary.ucsf.edu/tobacco/docs/#id=yhwc0130