This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Vintage) Imperial Leather Aftershave - anyone on here used it?

Discussion in 'After Shave / Cologne' started by Goatywoaty, Monday April 16, 2018.

1. Hi Chaps

Got some Imperial Leather Aftershave on the way. It's not too common as last production was probably a good few years ago! I do love IL, so hoping the aftershave smells great too.

Anyone on here a fan? Is it strong stuff, how long does it last?

Snagged a new boxed Imperial Leather shaving soap bowl on ebay too, paid heavy for it though! Still smells awesome, I think i'm definately going to use it, unless I can find a used example cheap.

I think I might save this AS and soap for treat shaves maybe a couple of times a year lol.

IMAG1838.jpg

2. Missoni

Missoni

...I want to try the soap! is it tallow?

Blademonkey, Sezer1974 and Glen_Lee like this.
  3. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

Yes I used Imperial Leather Aftershave and shaving soap in tub and stick. There are few different types of Aftershaves the square bottle is stronger, lasts longer. The other type is the long neck bottle(most common ones) they smell very similar to English Leather, the long neck one lasts at least 2 hours easy the square bottle lasts 5 hours easy. I really like the Imperial leather and it is quite sad that such a nice smelling a/s stopped but as I said English Leather smells very similar as a matter of fact it smells closer to IL and much better than Wickham's Russian Leather(supposed to be IL tribute).
    I don't know if the soaps contain tallow as there is no Ingredients list but I guess they do, their performance are great.

Missoni and Blademonkey like this.
  4. Cem, if I recall correctly Imperial Lather After shave splash is still being produced in Australia. I never had the chance to try it but from the last time I was there 3 years ago it is seemed fairly ubiquitous and of course cheap.

I can see it is listed online in oz and still made by Cussons.

Sezer1974 and Missoni like this.
  5. Missoni

Missoni

...thanks for this...

Sezer1974 likes this.
  6. Some interesting info here. The bottle i've got coming is a 100ml bottle that says Imperial Leather Classic.

I do have a Cussons Aftershave already, but that's all it says, wonder if it is similar to the Imperial Leather one.

Will post some pics when I get it.

Anyone else have any pics of the IL kit they have?

The prices seem to be going a bit nuts now unfortunately. It's much rarer than vintage Old Spice stuff, but surely it was as common?

Sezer1974 likes this.
  7. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

Yes Danny you are right, I hears that they still produce them in Australia but I also heard that although it smells very nice it doesn't smell like the Imperial Leather, I can't remember where I've heard it but I would love to try it. Have you got a link for it?

8. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

No worries @Missoni

Missoni likes this.
  9. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

I don't know if this link will work, it is from instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP--bEkA8oS/?taken-by=cemsezer74

Goatywoaty likes this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre

The shave sticks are quite common. I have grabbed around seven of them.

Sezer1974 likes this.
  11. Thanks for the info. I do have a couple of Imperial Leather shave sticks and one Cussons shave stick, however I don't really like using shave sticks - I can't seem to get a nice lather like I do with bowl lathering. The sticks I have are all new, so I don't want to break into them and have a substandard lather. I'll keep my eye out for a part used bowl hopefully :)

Sezer1974 likes this.
  12. Sezer1974 likes this.
  13. Rohleder

Rohleder

You could try grating one of the sticks into an empty bowl? Works for most sticks :)

14. You're doing something really wrong. Or you may need to get a synthetic brush.

15. Are synthetic brushes better for face lathering? I only have a badger, and a mixed badger/boar...

16. TomG

TomG

@Shemen Zait @Sezer1974 - I can indeed confirm that Cussons Imperial Leather A/S is readily available in Supermarkets in Australia. Easy on the wallet at the equivalent of 7 quid. And you are correct - it is not a dead ringer for the classic Imperial Leather soap scent. Not too bad, though.

Shemen Zait and Sezer1974 like this.
  17. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

Thank you very much :)
    The performance of the soaps are very good, highly recommended. If you ever come across, buy them if you can.

18. They are better for any lathering! :D
    You see, synthetic fibers don't absorb the lather, and the brush is overall super efficient with soaps and creams. Meaning you also spend less time (and product) lathering. I used to struggle with face lathering too, while using my fancy badgers. Granted, some of it was due to a lack of experience, but once I picked up a synth, I haven't had any issues with lather since. I also use any hard soaps as shave sticks and face lather exclusively. Just think about it - why would you waste time creating lather in the bowl when you can do it straight on your mug, and get extra facial massage at the same time! And it makes you much more independent from extra gear.
    Anyways, I think you should give it another go. Rub more product into your whiskers at first, if you must - but once you get a hang of it, there's no going back!

19. Sabre

Sabre

It's not something I do, but others do have success at grating their shave sticks into bowls.

20. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

I don't like telling people what to do but I want to share something which may help you to get better results with the shave sticks. First wet the tip of the shave stick(dip it in hot water and wait for about a minute max.) and then rub it on your beard, you should notice that it is very easy to apply the stick and when it dries, wet the tip of the stick again and carry on, also make sure your beard is wet as well. Then start making the lather with your brush. I hope it works for you.