Vitos Super Extra (Red) Shaving Soap

I'm working my way through a few of the soaps that are only available in big blocks, courtesy of samples from Shave Dash. This was the first:

This is another classic of Italian soaps. It's not as well known as the likes of Cella because it's only sold in 1 Kg blocks so isn't the sort of thing a typical shaver would buy. It's aimed at the professional market.

There are two versions: the standard 'green' version and the 'super extra red' version that has added glycerine.

As with many Italian soaps, it has an almond scent. I think this is slightly different in that it has a sweetness, so it's closer to a cherry bakewell. I found it to be very subtle and unless the soap was contained in something it was almost impossible to pick up any fragrance at all.

I found it required some work to get a good lather, especially for the second pass, but was always able to generate it. That was matched by a pretty good level of slickness, though not outstanding. Possibly this would have been better if I'd soaked the block before use.

To be honest, I was expecting more. It's a solid performer but far from my favourite. Equally, it's not very pricey either, in fact it's not far off the cheapest products you can buy.

If you're looking for a daily driver then this could do the job without a big outlay but, for me, there are plenty of better soaps out there.

Full review here.

As much as I like Cella, Vitos Super Extra which is similar in many ways irritated my skin and I had to stop using it. Doesn't mean it will have the same effect on anyone else, but those were my findings.

Problem with Italian almond soaps is that they are all the same. Except obviously, when they are different. Vitos works fine for me. Figaro shaves a treat as well, but seems to give me just a touch of irritability. That said, I am easily irritated these days (bad weather, sore knee, Brexit incompotence, 0-0 draws at home for Scunthorpe, etc) so it's not saying much.

After receiving my kilo brick of Vitos Extra Super Cocco i.e. red with coconut, I been doing a little research.

The conclusion of this research is that the 'Cocco' version refers to the scent only.

Below is my box which contains a sticker. Translated from Italian it say 'with coconut perfume'. It does indeed have a coconut scent, but as well as, not instead of the standard almond. The scent reminds me of amaretto.

6647cf0904ac710ceae00c793e431bef.jpg

The ingredients listing on the box has no mention of coconut oil in any form. I have searched high and low to find a box listing coconut oil as an ingredient and to have failed in this quest.

32428e45e2d0fc509ee7cac132898fce.jpg

Older versions of the Extra Super Cocco appear to have this denoted on the front, whilst more recent cartons such as mine contain a small sticker instead.

aeeac6d6bb0a569947cac0ae838f38b4.jpg

There are indeed eBay listings and forum posts (on plenty of shaving sites other than here) which do say coconut oil is an ingredient, but when I was a little boy, my grandmother said the moon was made of green cheese. Just because someone says something, unless it's backed-up with evidence, it isn't necessarily true.

The final word on the subject is the manufacturers website directly translated:

http://www.susandarnell.it/it/vitos-sapone/pane-pasta-classica

Tre speciali formulazioni studiate appositamente per soddisfare tutte le esigenze richieste. Una pasta classica ma sempre soddisfacente, una pasta glicerinata profumata al cocco e una pasta extra super per le pelli più esigenti.

Three special formulations specially designed to meet all the requirements you require. A classic but always satisfying paste, a coconut perfumed glycerin paste and a super extra paste for the most demanding skins.

The difference between Vitos Red (both variants) and Green being the addition of glycerine to the former of course remains true

To summarise, the three variants of Vitos soap are as follows:

Green - Almond scent with no glycerine
Red / Extra Super - Almond Scent with added glycerine
Red / Extra Super Al Profumo Di Cocco - Almond / coconut scent with added glycerine

Last edited:
To summarise, the three variants of Vitos soap are as follows:

Green - Almond scent with no glycerine
Red / Extra Super - Almond Scent with added glycerine
Red / Extra Super Al Profumo Di Cocco - Almond / coconut scent with added glycerine

@SeanC

I've not used the Vitos Red Cocco, but I've used the other two. I found Green to be much firmer to the touch than the standard Red and considerably less slick. I think I read somewhere the Extra Cocco version is the softest of the 3.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours from? Was it Gemstone? They've not marked theirs on their site as the Cocco version but the description seems to indicate it is.

@SeanC

I've not used the Vitos Red Cocco, but I've used the other two. I found Green to be much firmer to the touch than the standard Red and considerably less slick. I think I read somewhere the Extra Cocco version is the softest of the 3.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours from? Was it Gemstone? They've not marked theirs on their site as the Cocco version but the description seems to indicate it is.

My Vitos did indeed come from Gemstone.

Softness / firmness could potentially be a function of how long the product has been exposed to the air, although the glycerine present in the Super variants should in theory make it more malleable.

My Vitos did indeed come from Gemstone.

Softness / firmness could potentially be a function of how long the product has been exposed to the air, although the glycerine present in the Super variants should in theory make it more malleable.

Agree about the air, I left a sample of 3P open for a few months and it went from being a soft croap to being incredibly firm.

Via Google Translate I read on an Italian shaving forum that the Vitos Green is hardest of the 3 and the 1000ml panetto is the densest/heaviest also. From my use I found the absence of glycerine in Green to be fairly obvious.

Thanks for the info about Gemstone. I'll look to look to place an order for some Red with them at some point soon.

I cannot buy the Extra Super original (almond) anymore, my supplier says this has been discontinued.

Wanting to tie up this loose end, I contacted the manufacturer direct to ask which variants are still available:

buonasera,

i saponi in kg vitos sono 3 come puo vedere dal ns sito vitos verde, vitos super rosso, vitos extra super cocco rosso.

good evening,

soaps in kg vitos are 3 as can be seen from our website vitos green, red vitos super, super red vitos extra coconut.

Interesting, but does anyone stock it? I had a quick look I could only see the Coco.

The only place I could find that has all 3 types in stock is Gifts and Care in Spain, but aside from them the sellers in Italy I had a look at only have Green and Cocco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom