Wales v Belgium

Now I'm not one who likes to stir things up.

I'm having trouble with my attitude towards tonight's match. I'm normally supporting any UK team and Ireland when England are not the opposition. But this video really does frustrate me. I've heard all the excuses but I might not shed a tear if Belgium win. Yet I still won't be unhappy if Wales win. Old habits die hard.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...s-players-celebrating-englands-loss-to-i.html

I've heard about, but not seen the actual reaction (in work and YouTube is blocked).. so I don't know to what extent the Welsh players celebrated.

Nothing really against England (*well maybe a little), but I was on the edge of my seat, praying for Iceland to hang on and win against England, my heart was in my mouth and I couldn't bare to look as the last few minutes wound down. I then called my father immediately after the game to talk about how great a result it was for Iceland. No different to the way I hoped Leicester City would hang on and win the Premier League, and for Japan to beat South Africa in the rugby world cup.

* As an Irishman, I've been rooting for Northern Ireland and Wales... and whilst I don't have anything against England (born and spent my childhood there), it p1sses me off to listen to pundits talking about their quarter final with France before a ball had even been kicked against Iceland, it turns neutrals off them. Joe Hart alone is enough to cheer on the other team, total plonker. There is a feeling that they are built up before every tournament and are somewhat arrogant (now, I could be reading to much into the crap that gets written in the papers and online). I genuinely thought England might have some potential heading into this tournament with a relativity young squad... but they got what they deserved against Iceland.

It's only human nature for a neutral to support the underdog. A friend said this week - "France will be the end of the line for them this weekend", and I replied - "that's what they kept saying about Greece in 2004". I'll be behind Iceland against France and hope they can keep the dream alive.

Last edited:
I suspect all the home nations would celebrate getting further than England in any tournament. But it does also seem like England's the big brother everyone loves to hate.

What, no value in a surprise Wales win?

I can't see Wales affording Belgium as much room as Hungary + they had the hoodoo over over the waffles in qualifying and Hazard not appearing to be absolutely fit recovering from a pull.

Come on Paddy Ladbroke Mcclaine.

Walking through my sleepy, backward, backwater city this morning, I'm sure I saw them at 10/1.
Shame I'm not a betting man ... and don't follow football.

@antdad ... It was always about group qualification for me. I just felt they would play with more determination than England and pip them to top spot.

If they were going off today at 6/1 or better I might have been tempted, but 4/1 isn't long enough odds to reflect the gap between them (in my mind, anyway).

I'm technically qualified to play for England (Mother), Wales (Father), Republic of Ireland (2 Grandparents), but that's academic as I'm both past it and was crap at football before being past it. I had a funny feeling that Wales went off the boil just at the right time, when they had qualified and during the friendlies, unlike England who did it in the tournament. Just wish I'd put a few quid on them now, but don't we all....

Last edited:
Will always support all the home nations and always Scotland first (my country of birth) followed by England (blood bond on Mother's side) and Wales (always had a soft spot for this beautiful country and its people after so many memorable experiences) then Northern Ireland. Nothing against NI whatsoever, I just have little or no connections is all and have never been there.

Absolutely over the moon for Wales tonight. Yes England might've beaten them but they got beat by the village of Iceland so 'nuff said, eh! If England played cohesively, intelligently and with half as much passion as Wales perhaps they may have done better. The way each Welshman plays for his shirt is a stirring example and I hope they go all the way. Who is to say they won't given the example of Leicester this year, Greece in '04 and Denmark in '92. After all, look at how highly Belgium are ranked by FIFA (inaccurate shitehawks though they undoubtedly are). My head says they can't do it but my heart says get in there! Romance in football isn't dead yet.

Head still says Italy, though.

I've just got back from a 60th birthday party where at the time that Wales won, there were quite a few people dancing to Brown Girl in the Ring or something similar. Just outside the dancefloor was another room with a couple of TVs showing the game. As it went on, more and more people were watching and there was a huge cheer when the final whistle blew. This is in the heart of England and it made me feel proud. I just wish I'd video'd it and could send it to the Welsh squad to show them how much it feels to be appreciated.

Delighted for Wales, cracking game, some super goals.

Majorly disappointed when Ramsey got booked... turned in a massive performance, fantastic run and cross for the second goal, will be a huge loss for the semi-final.

Shearer made some great points at half time - highlighting the fact that all the Welsh players came through English academies and most play in the Premier League, and then went on to talk about a plan, a system and playing with belief.

Back
Top Bottom