Watch recommendation please.

Hi guys,

I am a looking for a new, good watch. I recently lost my father, and got a tiny bit of money from the estate. I want to get a watch to remember him by. I have looked at the Citizen Eco-Drives. I was wondering what the general opinion of them is. The other thing, and this is the main part in a way. I'd like to get the back engraved with his name DOB of date of passing. Could anyone recommend somewhere that I could get it engraved.
So, basically guys I have around £300 maybe up to £350. Can you give me a good idea of a watch. Thanks

Hi guys,

I am a looking for a new, good watch. I recently lost my father, and got a tiny bit of money from the estate. I want to get a watch to remember him by. I have looked at the Citizen Eco-Drives. I was wondering what the general opinion of them is. The other thing, and this is the main part in a way. I'd like to get the back engraved with his name DOB of date of passing. Could anyone recommend somewhere that I could get it engraved.
So, basically guys I have around £300 maybe up to £350. Can you give me a good idea of a watch. Thanks
I'm sorry to hear of your Fathers passing, an engraved watch is a lovely idea. As for the watch, I can't help you but I'm sure someone will but the engraving can be done at most good jewellers or trophy supply outlets. I hope you get all the infomation you are looking for.

Hi guys,

Hi Dave, sorry to hear about your dad, just an idea, but for my 60th I got a mechanical pocket watch, plenty of room on the back for engraving & some sellers even include engraving, which watch is just a matter of taste, hope that helps, good luck

Hi guys,

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive model BM8475-26E, which is a military-style watch, and cost about £150. It's a very good watch, and keeps perfect time. The power reserve through light (sun or artificial) charge is excellent. I don't know about the Citizen watches in your higher budget bracket, but I expect they're as satisfactory.
One point about engraving. Again, I don't know if all Citizens are the same, but the stainless back of mine (case width ex-lugs is 42mm) has a circular central logo of 15mm, then a clear ring about 7mm wide, then a line of model number, specs etc. around the edge (see photo). Depending exactly on what you want engraved, you will need to decide whether it is in a line or lines, or in an arc, to avoid going over the logo. As to where, most decent jewellers should be able to help, especially if you are buying from them.
The small rings, fingertips etc. in the photo are the back of my phone reflected in the shiny watch back, by the way.1-IMG_20170318_144640.jpg

Sorry to hear your loss.

I did a similar thing myself and bought a Seiko diver, but that's me Love Seiko.

Obvious one is buy something you want/like. Second make sure you are confident that you can get it repaired/serviced into the future and beyond.

Enjoy your watch and wear it in good health.

My condolences. I own 6 mechanical wind (manual and automatic) watches, but no quartz watches. My wife, however, does have a Citizen Eco-drive, which she loves and which she has owned for several trouble-free year. As for mechanical watches, you can't go wrong with a Seiko. Their movements are robust having stood the test of time and they are available in many attractive styles, both dressy and recreational. Another dependable make is Hamilton

I'd go for a Seiko Automatic personally, there's nothing like a good automatic. Yeah they aren't as accurate at keeping time but a few seconds here or there to me is nothing.

The Eco Drive are very good but I've had a capacitor go in one.

Many years ago we had a close family friend leave me some money so I invested in a Oris Big Crown. At the time it was something like £400. To replace now it would be more than double that.

What ever you decide enjoy, and don't forget to post a picture.

I've had just the one eco-drive, but it is superb. Still looks good after a few years, keeps time more accurately than any watch I've ever had and had never run out of charge- and I've never tried to charge it, just wearing it seems to charge it just fine. I think it's a fantastic watch and would recommend it you want a nice looking watch to serve a purpose. However, i would not suggest it as an heirloom - it does not have much personality. In this case, i would go for something mechanical.

Sorry for your loss. :(
I own two mechanicals at the moment; a Tudor Royal, which I'm going to get restored and my pride and joy, a Omega SeaMaster DeVille 18ct non calendar automatic. :)

My condolences.

The Eco Drive watches are really nice - slim, well-manufactured and excellent time keepers.

Just one thing (and pleased don't take this the wrong way) do you really want to be reminded of the date of your father's death - yeah, that's what it is, not the euphemistic "passing" that is fashionable in America - every time you look at the back of that watch?

Is that what your father would have wanted?

My condolences.

The Eco Drive watches are really nice - slim, well-manufactured and excellent time keepers.

Just one thing (and pleased don't take this the wrong way) do you really want to be reminded of the date of your father's death - yeah, that's what it is, not the euphemistic "passing" that is fashionable in America - every time you look at the back of that watch?

Is that what your father would have wanted?

Come to think of it, no he wouldn't. I think he'd have wanted me to get something nice, and possibly for it to remind them of the person he - my father - was. I'll still remember him just by wearing it I reckon. Thanks.

Hi. Sorry for your loss.

I have a Tissot and like the brand alot. Swiss made, and good movements in my opinion. You should be able to get something in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom