WD20.30 - Selfmade Preshave

WD40 should be widely known.
Hence WD20.30 as a name for preshave.

'Invented' by kriklkrakl in the german forum gut-rasiert.de, where you could read 30 pages until now about it, going back to 2010.

The original recipe is:
20% VitaHorn Cream
30% (Body)Oil
50% AfterShave

There are lots of variations been attempted, as more than 20% cream, ColdCream instead of VitaHorn, pathenol added, cosmetic alcohol thinned instead of after shave, etc.pp.

There are recipes with
42% Cold Cream
25% BodyOil and
33% AS

The latest improvement is adding 2-3% citric acid to the solution.

My first attempt (O1 'peated') was - regarding the consistency (creamy, not liquid) and effect - the best until now:
Lavera Basis sensitive All-Round Creme 20g
Jojoba oil 10g
Argan oil 10g
Weleda natural arnica Massage oil 10g
Single Malt Bowmore 40% 40g
Becherovka 38% 10g

Will do this again with less Bowmore (I was lacking after shave at that time, hence the scotch/liquor) some Majestät A/S instead and 4% citric acid next time.

So what's your recipe?

Last edited:
Thanks, Olaf
I've have read about this and I'm intrigued. The original recipe was straight forward, but then things get more complicated. Just look at your last recipe. I'm still not sure which cream (available in the UK) would work.
Also, could you explain the advantages of this home made concoction, please.. How is this better than normal pre shave? (I've read about it, but never used or attempted it myself)

I use the following ingredients, most sourced from a company called Healthaid. These include:
Organic Vitamin E oil
Organic Vitamin E cream high potency (pharmaceutical grade)
Selection (8) of organic EO's
Olive oil (sourced from Spain) self refined.
Rape seed oil
Distilled water
Tumeric root

Advantages are:
  • skin protection (oil/cream)
  • better glide (oil/cream)
  • improved maceration/softening of beard hair (alcohol/citric acid)
Depending on the razor used (comb/no comb) you might still have some WD20.30 left on the skin after the shave - moisturizing the skin.

Compared to a preshave oil w/o cream/alcohol I used before, the result is better with WD20.30.

Andreas, why dont you get the Lavera Cream, some massage oil (no need to mix that yourself), and a nourioshing after shave (or just use some Scotch;-) ?

One more hint: When adding some castor oil (3-5%) to the mix, it doesn't move that quickly into the skin.

Lavera cream costs 4,95€ here, but it lasts very long and is also a good choice for the face in the winter.
I only apply organic stuff to my body.

boots is clever, they dont show the ingredients. google helps though. So the cold cream has ethyl- and methylparaben, which is for conservation and considered not hormonal effective if the concentration is < 0,4% in the product.

Paraffinum is also in it, which is basically made from mineral oil, and rather de-hydrates the skin then hydrates it, because it lies like a film on top of the skin and prevents natural regeneration. For the preshave that might not be so bad, as immediate absorption by the skin doesn't help.
I would rather use some castor oil, though.

Nivea creme is almost purely chemical, but if you dare?

Generally I try not to use products with chemical and mineral oil base, and avoid parabens. There are other means of conservation than parabens.

The baby oil also has paraffinum. Poor babies that get treated with this crap. I used a cream with paraffinum in it on my son regularly for a while (tip from the midwife (Hebamme))- and it did indeed the opposite of what it was supposed to do. Threw it away.

You get what you pay for.... So if you are up for a fresh rub with mineral oil based stuff and maybe hormone effective ingedrients, and do like unnatural chemical ingredients in the face(!) - go for it.

But -hey, maybe that's all just panic, and if it gets removed by the shave anyway then maybe thats acceptable for you.

For an experiment I'll be relaxed about the crap in the stuff I use.
Parabens below 0.4% are demanded by EU regulations anyway, which are (still) in use in the UK and the mixture will reduce that amount anyway. The article you linked to is interesting, but the dangers seem unclear. High doses in animal experiments show some effect, but it is unclear if those findings apply to humans and wether the parabens get absorbed by skin seems a matter of debate as well. The impact of expensive, organic creams on my wallet is however undisputed.
As long as the baby oil works, I'm not bothered.
Aftershave is now the tricky decision. Freshwood or Bay Rum?
Does the citric acid (OMG! Acid on my face!!!) make a huge difference or should I not bother for simplicity? I just want to see for myself what the hype on that German forum is all about. If it works as advertised, I might just invest in more politically correct ingredients.

Apparently Boots Cold Cream is unsuitable, anything with mineral oils ruins things (according to the inventor). My level of suffering is too close to zero to go on a wild goose chase. I'll stick with a hot towel. :p

Lavera cream costs 4,95€ here, but it lasts very long and is also a good choice for the face in the winter.
I spotted the Lavera Basis Sensitiv cream at Holland&Barrett today. £7.29 (buy one get one half price).
Still more than I'd be happy to pay for an experiment. My spending sabbatical has caused me permanent damage, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

I spotted the Lavera Basis Sensitiv cream at Holland&Barrett today. £7.29 (buy one get one half price).
Still more than I'd be happy to pay for an experiment. My spending sabbatical has caused me permanent damage, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:
Damage or not, the cream is very good.

I used Proraso White this week, not very satisfactory.

Damage or not, the cream is very good.

I used Proraso White this week, not very satisfactory.
That's as it may be, but I'm not going to spend 20 quid or so on some homemade pre-shave I might not like or need. I might get some of the ingredients cheaply when I go to Germany, but there are no plans to do that right now.. I'd still prefer to make some mixture with ingredients readily and cheaply available in the UK.
For now the GB20.30 plans are on ice...

Back
Top Bottom