What advise would you have liked to known at the start?

If you're a beginner and taking a while to shave, add a bit of glycerine to your lather to stop it drying out. I mean, all soaps and creams contain glycerine, but add a little extra (e.g. from a bottle of glycerine, some shaving gel, some glycerine soap, etc.).

Don't buy the cheapest items as they may not work well. A quality de razor such as Edwin Jagger, and some decent cream such as Taylor's of Bond st. Cream will get you a good lather with little effort. Also a blade which is highly thought of by reviews. Maybe try a variety pack before you buy 100!

It would be interesting to find out the oldest manufacturer (that is still in business to be fair) of shave soap / Cream though, I would like to think that it was a British company but wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the Italian firm's. :)

DR Harris were established in 1790. I don't think anything will trump that

It would be interesting to find out the oldest manufacturer (that is still in business to be fair) of shave soap / Cream though, I would like to think that it was a British company but wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the Italian firm's. :)
DR Harris were established in 1790. I don't think anything will trump that
“The Vergulde Hand” est 1554: good ol' Google
Edit: Forgot to answer the original question. Learn to lather properly before switching to a traditional razor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom