What am I doing wrong - Voskhod blades

Don't shoot me, newbie at large

Getting used to DE Shaving, initially used Astra Superior Platinum, got the hang of it after 2 or 3 shaves, obviously still learning, after the 4th shave the blade got slightly grabby, so binned it.

After receiving some sample blades, & after reading good reviews on Voskhod I loaded one in the razor. It was quite rough & to be honest knocked my confidence, did 2 passes & not as close a shave as the Astra. Used same Voskhod yesterday, not impressed, which leads me to believe it must be user error. Or is it some blades don't suit certain stubble/skin?

Ordered some Polsilver to try, amongst the other samples I have.

Getting used to DE Shaving, initially used Astra Superior Platinum, got the hang of it after 2 or 3 shaves, obviously still learning, after the 4th shave the blade got slightly grabby, so binned it.

After receiving some sample blades, & after reading good reviews on Voskhod I loaded one in the razor. It was quite rough & to be honest knocked my confidence, did 2 passes & not as close a shave as the Astra. Used same Voskhod yesterday, not impressed, which leads me to believe it must be user error. Or is it some blades don't suit certain stubble/skin?

Some people swear by them and other's not so much, not all blades will suit all hair / skin type's so if you have found you don't like them move on, however sometimes you may go back to a blade you didn't like that much only to find its now ok. So put them away and try again in a few months and see how you feel then. :)

100% agree with @Blademonkey

Although it seems they're not for you & that will happen. As an example Polsilver are loved by most & I can tell they are a sharp blade with exceptional life. Rough as a very rough thing for me.

If you have more than one razor, try it again, some blades gel with some razors. And definitely come back to them, I tried Sputnik blades very early on & they were just about okay.
Forgot all about them & a year later, very niiice.

100% agree with @Blademonkey

Although it seems they're not for you & that will happen. As an example Polsilver are loved by most & I can tell they are a sharp blade with exceptional life. Rough as a very rough thing for me.

If you have more than one razor, try it again, some blades gel with some razors. And definitely come back to them, I tried Sputnik blades very early on & they were just about okay.
Forgot all about them & a year later, very niiice.

Cheers, only the 1 shaver, I'm new to this lark, still learning.....but enjoying shaving for the 1st time ever

Give it time!
Great that you're enjoying shaving.
I hated it too until I found DE razors & TSR.

Stick with the Astra's and when you've finished the tuck at least, try some different ones. Astra are really good blades, they happen to be one of my favourites.

I really like them, but there are a lot of blades that are popular that I really don't like. Don't get disheartened if a blade doesn't work for you. Maybe keep a few to try in a year or 2. I've revisited a few blades recently and they've transformed since my first few months.

Be aware of the angle you're using while shaving and try to maintain the same angle throughout the shave even when going round corners.
If your angle (blade to skin) is too large it's like scraping the blade across your skin which won't cut as well and could cause irritation especially with a sharp blade. You might be applying too much pressure too as it feels like the blade's not very effective. Possibly a sharper blade is worse for you if this is happening.
With a smaller angle (blade flatter on the face) you should feel less scraping and less resistance and the blade cutting better and less "rubbing" on the skin.
It all takes practice and patience, you need a few months really.
Like the others have said blades are a personal choice, you need to find the ones for you, but give each type a good chance to see how you like them.

Be aware of the angle you're using while shaving and try to maintain the same angle throughout the shave even when going round corners.
If your angle (blade to skin) is too large it's like scraping the blade across your skin which won't cut as well and could cause irritation especially with a sharp blade. You might be applying too much pressure too as it feels like the blade's not very effective. Possibly a sharper blade is worse for you if this is happening.
Good advice. Add a good preparation regime and you will be on the way for great shaves. Keep working at it.

I've been shaving for just over two years now and I too have gone through a period of trying different blades.
I still try different ones every now and again as my technique changes but my go to blade is the Astra SP.
If you get a good shave with the Astra then can I suggest that you stick with that for a couple of weeks while you're building your skills?
If there was one blade and razor combination that was brilliant for everyone then we'd all be using it. Astras may be your perfect blade. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom