What is the full/normal size equivalent to the Wee Scot?

For several years now I have shaved with two brushes: a Simpsons Wee Scot when away from home, about 25% of the time and a Vulfix 2235 at home.
I am a committed hard soap face latherer and use La Toja in my travel kit and either Michells or Tabac or Penhaligons at home. Ordered a puck of Nanny's last night though, first new soap experiment for years.

Recently I've realised I often get a better shave with the Wee Scot than I do at home and tend to find the Vulfix to be quite soft, sometimes flattening as I lather.

To the chase: looking to upgrade the Vulfix, what's a good option for finding a brush like the Wee Scot in behaviour?
I've read lots of glowing reviews of the Chubby line, but equally praise of the Duke and Classic from Simpsons. I don't need a statement piece and not sure I like the sound of a soap hog either though I can only imagine what that means!

A bit of a leap into the unknown, I am not looking to start a collection but realise I'll only really know after using a new brush for a while. Hope to hear from someone with experience of a few of these who can advise to help me make a decision.

Many thanks.

I too am a fan of the Wee Scot. I think the Simpson Colonel 2XL best is an excellent all round brush. It handles soaps and creams well and is suitable for bowl or face lathering. The knot is dense enough and doesn't hog lather whilst it has good, but not too much, backbone and soft tips. Moreover, it is attractively priced. I much prefer my Colonel to my Chuuby 1 best and Duke 2 pure.

Thank you for this. I hadn't considered the Colonel but like the handle shape too. I'm really interested to see what they're like, especially being much the same price my current brush is now.

I had a quick look in the BST section after posting and spotted a Duke 3. Have decided to give it a go on the basis that if for some reason I find it doesn't work for me I can turn it around again.

Really have to resist buying a Colonel anyway now. Maybe.

My opinion is worth just what I charge, but all my shave buddies are fervent converts to the newest generations of synthetic brushes as am I since 2014 when I bought my first synthetic. They just flat out work better IMO and are sure as Hell a lot cheaper than a badger brush. Try one. ;)

Really interesting that synthetic knots are mentioned. I had thought to ask what all the fuss was about when posting initially.
I am a hopeless traditionalist but always tempered by the desire not to let the basic function of something become secondary to fashion/ style or token trophy hunting. I can't say I always succeed though.

I'll regret asking this I expect but what's a good synthetic to try given the above conversation?

Thank you all for this advice. I'm not going to drop headfirst into the market and buy every brush going but it's good to have a picture of what's available and why people like them. I'm not very good at having kit I can't get the best out of so may find it's a while before I want anything else.

My Duke 3 arrived courtesy of a forum member and I have used it a few times. Typically in the last week or so I have been travelling for work and using the Wee Scot more than any other brush.

The Duke 3 is taking some learning after my Vulfix. It likes lots of soap! When I've got it right though, it's been fantastic. Looking forward to each shave with it so I can learn how to get the best out of it each time.
It's hard to say yet if it really is a big brother to the Wee Scot but one thing's from sure; it has a lot in common, far more than the Vulfix has. And for extra bonus points, unlike the Vulfix it doesn't leave 2-3 hairs in the lather with each shave.

Very pleased.

I couldn't resist one or two other additions to the cupboard under the sink so in due course I might post about them too.
You would think a process engineer would know better than to change all variables simultaneously.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom