This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What strops do you all use/own?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Looney12345, Thursday March 30, 2017.

1. Looney12345

Looney12345

As you may have noticed from my WTB adverts a new strop is potentially on the horizon for me. I'm thinking cordovan...

That aside, I'm interested to hear what strops you guys use and the relevant merits/drawbacks of each?

I currently own an SRDP Modular Paddle strop which is great. I really enjoy stropping on the "rough" leather prior to the premium leather and the canvas is ideal for refreshing my razors on pastes. I put a nick in the premium leather early on and it pisses me off (hence me looking for a replacement bed). Does anyone know if the souplex-77 beds from Invisible edge fit onto the SRDP paddle? (link here: https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/...ather-replacement-bed-for-supex-77-strop.html)

Also own a "starter" type hanging strop which I bought from @Fergiebilly That one doesn't get as much use, but I still like it.

Anyway, looking forward to your replies!

2. OSP

OSP

Of course i use my own. I think i price my strops (especially the shell cordovan) very well. but i do also have a mountain mikes.

3. My first strop was a 3" wide vegetable tanned job from "FIRST" made in the UK, cost 30£ and is still going strong and my second strop is a 2" top grain cowhide made by Illinois Razor Strop Co and it has a thick canvas strop on the back joined at the top with the clasp and I think that cost 70£ if I get another it will be one from OSP because they look good and I know James wouldn't sell rubbish. :)

4. Rohleder

Rohleder

I've got a few... Dovo Prima Rindleder canvas backed 2.5" hanging, Invisible Edge extra wide sprung paddle & a small Geo. Trumper branded "French paddle strop" which is sprung and has leather one side and balsa the other.

I like using the Invisible Edge one the best.

5. Snuff

Snuff

Scrupleworks 2,5" Swedish Bridal/ brushed cotton, barber style strop

Scrupleworks 2,5" oil tanned horsehide/linen, barber style strop

(have owned Neil and Tony Miller strops also that I liked but my preference is with Torolf's strops, really like the feeling while stropping on these).

EdBrice, Kamp, Looney12345 and 2 others like this.
  6. I got few vintage strops that I like to use, Basic dovo (without canvas) which is not as nice as the vintage ones. Illinois strop is also nice but when I bought it I had to pay the extra import duties.

7. My own 3" English bridal leather strop. Unless you are a stropping god you are gonna nick your strop sooner or later and I wouldn't want to spend on the likes of a Kanayama and mark it plus they are too expensive for me. I'll stick to making my own, it isn't a dark art.

EdBrice, Jack Sales, OSP and 3 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Use 2 Strops..The One at the Top I Got from Pete on EBay..Its a Great Wee Strop for around 12 Notes with a Leather & Canvas Side..I Normally Use this Strop as My Work Horse Coming Off the Hone..o_O

My Tony Miller Strop is Cowhide on One Side & Latigo on the Other..This was an Expensive Early High End Tony Miller Strop & is No Longer Available..Its One Serious Heavy Duty & Heavy Weight Strop..:)

Billy

9. I use a 3" wide Black English Bridle leather from "Razor Emporium" with felt strop also

EdBrice, Looney12345 and Blademonkey like this.
  10. Jack Sales

Jack Sales

I have an OSP English Bridle 3".Also have a four sided paddle strop & another 3" budget strop from amazon.

11. EdBrice

EdBrice

+1 on the scrupleworks 2.5" oil tanned horsehide strop, almost a magnetic draw and great workmanship, mine is a good few years old and is still in great condition, I also like the look of westholme strops here in the uk, you can never have enough strops you know!!

Looney12345, Fergiebilly and OSP like this.
  12. I use a neil miller strop shop strop, say that after a few beers.
    Its got a couple of nicks, i call them character!

EdBrice and Fergiebilly like this.
  13. I use a westholme hanging starter strop, I've got very little knowledge of strops but it does the job and only cost me £35.
    Would certainly recommend them to anyone.

14. Kamp

Kamp

Which one of the 2 do you like most Ron and what is the difference (is it the draw)?