Which adjustable DE?

Dear friends,
I love wet shaving and I own several DE and SE razors.
The adjustables I have include the Fat boy the slim the futur the supply provision the pal and the Rockwell 6S.
I would like to buy a true modern adjustable but I'm baffled by all the new choices out there.
I read that most of them try to duplicate the shaving characteristics of the Merkur progress and some of them also look a bit like it. The problem being, I don't particularly care about the progress as I find it not smooth enough whichever setting I use YMMV of course. I tried to reacquaint myself with it yesterday but the result was as usual. Rough and raw. My Rockwell however on plate 6 is a dream to shave with and so is my Fatboy on 7. The reason I want a new adjustable is that after I watched the MadScientist's video claiming that the first pass should be more aggressive than the second and third still milder than the second, I tried it and worked for me, thus the enquiry for an adjustable.
I joined the Kickstarter for the Rockwell model T but I would like to know which of these new offerings are as smooth and effective like my Rockwell.

Last edited:
That's what Rockwell claims it does hehe And with the advantages of being one razor, without the hassle of changing plates mid shaving, and with gradual continuous gap adjustment that will give you more adjustment options than the 1 to 6 fixed plates.
I really wonder how it will compare to the 6S and the Fatboy. The model T though has the adjustment ring out of a lesser quality steel, not SS.

@Kypros Christodoulides There's not many razors you see 'bad' reviews for really and it's entirely subjective - one persons great shave is another man's poor shave and vice versa, that's why we all end with numerous razors, seeking the something akin to a shave utopia that we'll probably never find.
Wiser words have never been spoken, that's why now that you have alerted me to this new adjustable, I'll wait for the reviews and specifically for a comparative review between it and the 6S.

I read that most of them try to duplicate the shaving characteristics of the Merkur progress and some of them also look a bit like it. The problem being, I don't particularly care about the progress as I find it not smooth enough whichever setting I use YMMV of course. I tried to reacquaint myself with it yesterday but the result was as usual. Rough and raw.
I like the Progress and it gives me a good shave with a variety of blades. Rough and raw suggests a blade problem. However I note the Parker Variant seems to be getting good reviews.
Whether you use progressive settings, regressive settings or a fixed setting is a matter of subjective views. There is no correct answer. I use a fixed setting.

Back
Top Bottom