Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Surprised this hasn't got a review thread already, but here ya go:

I had heard that this was hard to lather, so I started my review cycle with a bit of trepidation. Ironic considering it has a tagline of ‘For a lasting lather' on the box (of the US version). Interestingly, the Canadian version I have states ‘Famous for its lather' and states the weight as 49g rather than 50.

As it happens, I didn't have any issues producing a lather. Adding water to the puck did seem to leave it very airy (it wasn't great without either), although it didn't dissipate as most other lathers would. So perhaps better to try lathering dry.

Despite the bubbles, it worked fine though, gave good slickness and adequate protection. Post shave feel was generally okay too. Obviously you're not buying this for the scent, which is basically non-existent.

I didn't get any great shaves, but some were very good and most were of a high standard, so no complaints. For the money it's a bargain, yet delivers a perfectly good shave experience, so well worth picking some up.

If you do fancy trying this, you may may need to get a move on as there's a suggestion it's being discontinued.

Full review here.

No rumors of that here where it's made. In the following video all his problems would have been solved if he would have soaked the soap in hot water for at least 5 mins. The resultant lather is much better then

I wouldn't say that it is "much better". It's basically the same thing, but it's easier to load, so you can create a layer of more product than just lather. Still, the properties are sub-par, compared with other soaps.

Williams is still riding the "traditional" thing. In the past, it was probably one of the most available shaving soaps in the US, so many people were using it just because of that. Now, they probably had the best year, since they launched the "discontinued" thing. Even I got a puck just because of that. Of course, I'm not using it for shaving, as any other product that I have is a better performer, but I ordered it just because it was getting discontinued.

The cost factor does not seem justified for me. A "fair" puck of hard soap is priced at around $10 and you get over 100 shaves out of it. Williams does not last so much, as you need to soak it, to load more product than you do with a good soap, and the puck is pretty small. Anyway, you are getting a value of $0.1/shave with a decent soap. Probably a bit less with Williams. But the differences in quality does not really worth.

I disagree, its a good product. Sure its not the same as it was in 1930, but NONE of the soaps can say that.
Williams is intended for slickness and glide, not to create a massive wall of lather like Arko does. And for every bad lathering thread on Williams that exists on the internet, you can get 2 or 3 for MWF and the reformulated AOS, HARRIS, TRUMPERS, and TOBS pucks.

I disagree, its a good product. Sure its not the same as it was in 1930, but NONE of the soaps can say that.
Williams is intended for slickness and glide, not to create a massive wall of lather like Arko does. And for every bad lathering thread on Williams that exists on the internet, you can get 2 or 3 for MWF and the reformulated AOS, HARRIS, TRUMPERS, and TOBS pucks.
Mitchell's can! Origanal 1893 formula, as good now as it was back then.

Back
Top Bottom