Wooden Spatulas

While cooking some dinner last night I did my usual: Cut the chicken on a plastic board and the veg on a wooden board with two different knives so as not to contaminate the veggies.

I then put the chicken into the pan and as always grabbed my bamboo spatula and stirred it as it cooked. That got me thinking... I wont cut meat on a wooden board because it will absorb the bacteria but then I'm touching the same chicken with a wooden spatula. It doesn't get hot like the chicken so it must not be sterilised while stirring the chicken.

Is that silly? I've always used wooden spatulas to stir the chicken/pork/whatever and never really thought about it.

While cooking some dinner last night I did my usual: Cut the chicken on a plastic board and the veg on a wooden board with two different knives so as not to contaminate the veggies.

I then put the chicken into the pan and as always grabbed my bamboo spatula and stirred it as it cooked. That got me thinking... I wont cut meat on a wooden board because it will absorb the bacteria but then I'm touching the same chicken with a wooden spatula. It doesn't get hot like the chicken so it must not be sterilised while stirring the chicken.

Is that silly? I've always used wooden spatulas to stir the chicken/pork/whatever and never really thought about it.
So do I and it hasn't given me food poisoning so I wouldnt worry too much about it, like you I had never really thought about it! :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much either. I have separate cutting board and knives for fish, meat, veggies, chicken and I never cross contaminate for exactly the same reasons you have mentioned. I have loads of wooden spoons but only ever use 2 of them! My grandchildren use more of my wooden spoons than I do!

Back
Top Bottom