Yardley Soap

I recently bought a bar of Yardley of London, English Lavender, Bath bar soap.
I came across it in Boyes and stopped for a sniff, just out of curiosity you understand...And what was is it like I hear you ask?...Well, It smelled almost exactly the same as Grandfathers Yardley Shaving soap used to smell when I was a boy, Or as near as my old nose can tell, bearing in mind its sixty odd years ago that I last sniffed that heavenly scent, and Grandfathers soap was in a cedar wood box, which added a little extra something to the mix. So if you ever wondered about the scent of the old Yardley legend, it smelled like this stuff..
Can you shave with it? I thought I'd give it a go, thats why I bought it really if I'm being honest.
With our soft Yorkshire water, it whipped into a very good lather, a lather that didn't fade and had reasonable lubricity for a bath soap I thought. In fact I've used so called shaving soaps that are far worse performers... The poor performers shall be nameless, but I'm sure you've come across one or two..The only disappointment for me, was the magical Yardley scent didn't come across whilst I was shaving with it, Perhaps the scent never did, but then I never did get to try the stuff when it was available, as I was only ten or eleven years old at the time.
The shave was very comfortable with no dragging as I suspected there might be, and no irritation of any kind either. I have tough whiskers and sensitive skin and I'm a face latherer by the way, not that, that should make much of a difference, but I thought I'd just mention it..
All in all, an interesting experiment..A good bath soap too.. and all for the princely sum of £1

The Razor used..A Gillette 77 with a Polsilver SI blade.
Omega 48 Hog hair brush.

Hi Goldcrest. Can I ask you if the package/paper of the soap looks like the one on Yardley website?

Yesterday I was looking for a good lavender bath bar online and I thought about Yardley, but all recent reviews on Amazon state that Yardley lavender has been recently "updated" and it doesn't smell as it used to anymore, they all say that the new one is a completely different soap.

Hi Byrd..No, nothing like the one on the Yardley website..My soap has a broad purple band near the bottom of the box, with "English Lavender"in capitals, then written underneath that in smaller lettering.."With pure Lavender Extracts and Essential oils"
There are some on eBay that look the same, but five times the price I paid at "Boyes"..
Sorry I can't post a photo..but I'm a bit behind the times as far as technology goes.

Just looked at the small print on the box, it also says made in the USA for Yardley of London..Good stuff just the same.

Thank you Goldcrest

Probably you were lucky and found the old version of the soap, I'll check on Ebay if I can find some before they are gone for good.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom