11/11/2012.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Dave.

I will be parading this year for the first time without my Father in Law, he was in the RAF prior to, during and after WW2. He was one of the lucky ones as he didn't fly, his job was to fix the planes ready for the next flight. He spent most of the war on the ground at Hornchurch and at Biggin Hill.

trainman said:
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Dave.

Too right we will
Derrick

Back from the remembrance service at the local war memorial. Whilst there are fewer of the old gents left, it is heartening to see so many people still turning out. Also great to see how many youth organisations there are in our area - troop after troop of cubs / scouts / brownies / guides / boys brigade.

But for the pillock who tried to drive down the closed road and then threw a tantrum when he was made to turn around: you're old enough to know better; grow up and show some respect.

Disappointed at the number of ex-forces who feel the need to wear 'non-issue' medals mounted next to the ones the Queen has been kind enough to allow them to wear.

Some of the 'racks' are quite ridiculous now and it's getting worse every year.

joe mcclaine said:
Disappointed at the number of ex-forces who feel the need to wear 'non-issue' medals mounted next to the ones the Queen has been kind enough to allow them to wear.

I agree and find it quite distasteful, saw a guy with a single NI medal stood next to a guy with an NI, Gulf and then a bought BAOR Medal and and a cold war medal and I thought his one is worth more than your four now just on pride alone.

I thought boozing it up in Germany was reward enough without needing to buy a couple for it! although I do beleave there shold be a National Defence Medal.

joe mcclaine said:

I noticed in the TV coverage of the Cenotaph service this morning that there were some impressive arrays of medals being worn by veterans - I'm genuinely confused by what you're referring to, Vinny, could you possibly explain (perhaps in PM?)

Back
Top Bottom