1912, With a Difference!

Gold 1912...;)
SPANNER_zpsyuz7sirj.jpg

Yeah here is another nice Auld Gold Plated Spanner...Gold Spanners are Dave the Rave these Days...:D

Billy

A question about your gold plate if ya don't mind mate. How does it look like it'll last as in longevity? I read somewhere that brass isn't the best material to plate with gold hence the vintage razors were all a bit naff. Another line of thought is they were just cheaply and badly done. What say ya?

You can successfully plate gold on to brass,first you need to plate the the brass with copper/nickel,if not,the gold plating will just probably just wipe off after a couple of months.
A lot of vintage,so called, gold plated razors were actually just given a quick gold dip (wash) ,onto a copper/nickel plate,and when I say quick,I mean real quick!,probably about 10-20 seconds maximum,in the gold electrolyte,hence it wears out really quickly on vintage razors (my recently acquired Executive appears to be gold plate,straight onto the nickel base).
But a good gold plate,CAN be done,just put a solid copper/nickel base on over the brass first.:)

And not forgetting,the vintage razor manufacturers would put a thick coat of lacquer on the gold washed razors,so as the ultra thin gold 'plate' would last longer...Tight fisted buggers!.

Last edited:
A question about your gold plate if ya don't mind mate. How does it look like it'll last as in longevity? I read somewhere that brass isn't the best material to plate with gold hence the vintage razors were all a bit naff. Another line of thought is they were just cheaply and badly done. What say ya?

Hi Dave, no problem at all. I think it looks pretty good, it doesn't look as brassy as some replates can and I think it has a nice pleasing bright shine to it. I don't plate straight onto the brass, as the Doc says the results aren't too good. I plate onto a fresh coat of bright nickel, this seems to give the gold a healthy zing! Longevity wise I would say slightly better than the original Gillette finish, it certainly takes longer to wear through mine on a polishing wheel than it has on any of the vintage Razors I've had through the Spa so far. I used a replated Milord for well over two months everyday and wiped and polished it after each use with no worries....not a huge longterm test I appreciate! But it still looked as good as when it came out of the gold tank.
As the Doc says the vintage stuff was produced to a price and some of them haven't done bad considering their age and the lack of care they would have no doubt suffered during those years.

Back
Top Bottom