1st SE shave / GEM 1912 - Wow

John said:
jds said:
Making a Cross said:
I love mine, took a shave to get used too, but wow the results are fantastic. I'm just working up the guts to shave my head with it now, not quite there yet!

I picked up 4 SE's from the bay last week at a grant total of £11. There's a US made Gem, a British Ever Ready, a Star and not sure of the other one. Loaded the Gem last night for shave this morning with one of Connaught's paint scraper Gem blades. Wow... different technique to DE and possibly a little heavy handed resulting in a couple of weepers. Despite extravagant lashings of ASB face is still feeling a touch "prickly" if you get my my meaning. Certainly no need for three passes.
Will give the Ever Ready a go later this week.

Any tips out there greatly received...

Thanks,

Jon
You have to get the angle /pressure corect with these razors ( dont apply presure, let the razor do the work) use the Internet for pictures for original instructions(google image) and youtube for shaving videos.:)

Thanks John. I spent a while last night on You Tube trying to find appropriate instructional videos, but couldn't really find anything. It is definitely in the angle... just a case of repetition making perfect I guess.

Whatever, I am now on the hunt for a Micromatic at a reasonable cost...

All the best,

Jon

jds said:
John said:
jds said:
Making a Cross said:
I love mine, took a shave to get used too, but wow the results are fantastic. I'm just working up the guts to shave my head with it now, not quite there yet!

I picked up 4 SE's from the bay last week at a grant total of £11. There's a US made Gem, a British Ever Ready, a Star and not sure of the other one. Loaded the Gem last night for shave this morning with one of Connaught's paint scraper Gem blades. Wow... different technique to DE and possibly a little heavy handed resulting in a couple of weepers. Despite extravagant lashings of ASB face is still feeling a touch "prickly" if you get my my meaning. Certainly no need for three passes.
Will give the Ever Ready a go later this week.

Any tips out there greatly received...

Thanks,

Jon
You have to get the angle /pressure corect with these razors ( dont apply presure, let the razor do the work) use the Internet for pictures for original instructions(google image) and youtube for shaving videos.:)

Thanks John. I spent a while last night on You Tube trying to find appropriate instructional videos, but couldn't really find anything. It is definitely in the angle... just a case of repetition making perfect I guess.

Whatever, I am now on the hunt for a Micromatic at a reasonable cost...

All the best,

Jon
Good luck, keep us posted. :)

Helveticum said:
jds said:
just a case of repetition making perfect I guess.

That. And very good lather.

Good point. Lather this morning was OK.. I'm just finishing off a tube of Viking that I bought from Bestshaves.net. Given that I have a vast amount of creams I try to be overly generous with the cream.

Cheers,

Jon

Back
Top Bottom