#66 case re-model

Following on from my recent #66 case restore I was left with one grotty empty case. Rather than throw it away I decided to change it completely and use it as a home for one razor that never came with a case, my waffle grip black handle Superspeed (these only came on a cardboard blister pack).

This is what I had to start with, bad staining & wear on the outside and nothing inside except rusty metal.
60_12.jpg

60_13.jpg

The finished item.
DSCF4961.jpg

DSCF4965.jpg

DSCF4963.jpg

DSCF4964.jpg

DSCF4966.jpg

I know it's not original, but it's a one off and better to recycle the old case than chuck it. I went with the carbon fibre theme as the pattern on the handle reminded me of it and I just like red.

Kind of looks like a giant #58 case:idea: I do have a really grotty #58 case maybe that will be next on my hit list.

Yeah,
The whole process was rather lengthy, but basically complete wipe down with acetone & degreaser, 5 coats of Magix/Grison Scarlet vinyl spray dye, couple of coats of renaissance wax (for protection).

I had to make new cardboard strips (the raised bits that go round the inside lip) and cover them with the carbon fibre imitation material. Base insert was cut out and shaped from flight case foam and then covered with the same material, cut and fixed in place the little flap that covers the hinge.

Then I did a high resolution scan of the material to use in paint.net so the card lid insert would be the same pattern, a bit of font matching and a good few hours messing about with the final design and the insert was ready to go in.

Sounds simple and quick when I write it like that, I think about 12-15 man hours in total, but I'm sure my wife would disagree:blush:

Bechet45 said:
You have promoted yourself to Consultant Box Restorer!

I have a few odd boxes - let me know if you need stuff.

Thanks guys,

I'm no craftsman, far from it, but like most here I suspect I display a few OCD tendancies so once I get the bit between my teeth there's no stopping me.

Theres no real skill needed, the ability to think things through, foresee problems and visulise each step so you can formulate a plan of action is the key, god I sound like rainman:icon_lol:

Thanks Carl for the offer, I've got a really bad empty #58 case that's going to get my attention next, so if you've got anything that would go in there that would be helpfull, let me know what you've got as I may be tempted to take on something else.

Jamies said:
Bechet45 said:
You have promoted yourself to Consultant Box Restorer!

I have a few odd boxes - let me know if you need stuff.

Thanks guys,

I'm no craftsman, far from it, but like most here I suspect I display a few OCD tendancies so once I get the bit between my teeth there's no stopping me.

Theres no real skill needed, the ability to think things through, foresee problems and visulise each step so you can formulate a plan of action is the key, god I sound like rainman:icon_lol:

Thanks Carl for the offer, I've got a really bad empty #58 case that's going to get my attention next, so if you've got anything that would go in there that would be helpfull, let me know what you've got as I may be tempted to take on something else.

Hi Jamie, I may have a #58 case that is complete but in rough shape. I will have to have a look in my spare case box.................If I can find the sodding thing.......:dodgy::dodgy:

Back
Top Bottom